1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Ie Service Etc Etc.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Alan williams, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Just sitting here thinking about it (probably because things went smoothly) what are the mistakes and consequences of putting the belts on wrong.
    I don’t mean timing out as surely that would be obvious from the timing marks. I assume it would be possible to turn one of the cams 180 degrees out - would this be obvious when turning the engine over by hand ?

2. The timing marks would obviously be out by 180 too

3. Don't do any more - wait for the new bolts (I'm doing it, I'm doing it) and then turn the engine over by hand if you think the marks were all lined up. (no plugs in etc etc).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ok.

So am I right in thinking you can’t put the belts on wrong and the timing marks still line up ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If I can get to your place, I can check for you, but I am seriously on the drag at the moment.

6. My impression - turn it over by hand slowly

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. No definitely not, probably won’t have the chance for a week or so anyway.

I was probably over thinking it again ( I’m good at that) and just wondered if, with the belts off, if you turned one of the cam pulleys 360 would it all still line up but cause problems.

Edit - i only moved the rear cylinder cam pulley back after it moved when I took the belt off.

#107 Alan williams, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  8. That’s another very kind offer, thank you.

When I get back from offshore will do the tensioning and turn it over by hand.

I also need to do the other service items and get a new battery, so will probably be a month or so before I’m ready to start it.

9. You are right

• Like Like x 1
  10. My SS was always a pig to start, even with s new battery. The starter motor seemed to soak up all the juice from the battery and leave little or none for the ignition system.
    The motor would often fire only at the moment I took my thumb off the starter button.
    I therefore highly recommend you get a high capacity/low resistance starting circuit cable kit from @Exige.
    How I wish they'd been available when I had my SS. Every time I pressed the starter, I had my fingers mentally crossed and held my breath. I always had the fear it was going to leave me stranded somewhere

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mine has been ok to start in the past, but the cable kit is on my 'wish list'

12. I made my own thick cables, same size as the Exact fit so know what you are saying. With an Odessey battery slow cranking is a thing of the past!

13. What is special about these batteries - are they not AGM like a Yuasa or Motobatt?
    What sort of CCA figures and price??
    Used to hear about them in the days of the old Yahoo SS Group but not lately

14. I bet it moved anti-clockwise about one tooth only, just under the slight rocker spring pressure. If so, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

15. Spot on yes.

16. Would have to check figures for you, what I can say is they go on cranking for longer than any Yausa or Motobatt Ive had on my bikes. I seem to have a talent for killing batteries, not this one (yet)

17. So it is an AGM battery, like a Yuasa.
    I don't know what this particular model is designed to fit but it appears to have a much lower cold cranking amps figure than the Yuasa in my 999, which is 4 1/2 years old now but freshly charged, was measured at 260 cca a few days ago.
    The Yuasa spec is for 210 CCA.
    The price appears to be about 3 times what you'd pay for a Yuasa from Halfords, so on the face of it, it doesn't look like great value.
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating though. Maybe the figures are misleading.

18. As I've never had starting problems I will stick with a standard Yuasa from halfords, for me that's too much money for a battery.
    Would rather spend less on the battery and, when I can, upgrade the cables.

19. I can only comment from my own experience. I have had several Yuasa and Motobatt, they have never lasted long, I looked at the figures too and it looks like the Odessey is inferior, however, itll crank harder and for longer than the other batteries Ive had. It holds its charge extremely well too. If you read the blurb on them it probably explains how their deliver of power is different in more technical terms.

I would say go for whatever you have had good experience with in the past. I would recommend Odessey, and will buy one for my current SS900 build.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information