1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Ie Service Etc Etc.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Alan williams, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Always good to have a personal recommendation

• Like Like x 1
  2. Partly why I started this thread, for me to learn from others experiences too.

At the moment for me, it's get the bike back on the road, unfortunately as cheaply as I reasonably can. But in the future if I experience problems I will refer back to this thread for info.

Like @Old rider says good to have others recommendations.

3. Ok I'm a little late to the party on this, but here are my thoughts. Firstly the battery, Odyssey PC680 every time, last one ran for 10 years on standard cables. I might be wrong but the rear shock looks like its off a carby SS which is shorter hence why the forks have been brought up higher in the yokes to quicken the steering.

4. That's interesting, thank you.

Odessey battery probably out of my price range for now, but certainly will consider it in the future.

Will have to investigate the rear shock, possibly a stupid question but is it something I can perhaps measure while fitted, or do I need to remove it to find out for sure ?

Edit - Not late to the party, this will be slow due to time / money constraints.

5. AL - Jack the rear end up so the wheel is off the ground - that will be the full length of the shock.

6. That makes sense, thank you.
    Will give it a go when I can.

7. Could anyone tell me what range of torque wrench I should get ?
    My old ones were ruined when my shed leaked (see other thread).
    Need to get one to carry on and am having to look at cheap ones for now so wondered about range.

8. Halords own brand - made by an OEM Torque Wrench Firm - come out top in car magazine tests against much more expensive opposition. Discount with your Trade Card too...
    Get a 12-60 and a 60-300 :):upyeah:
    https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs...MI54SUnKPL4AIVVijTCh2unQ9JEAAYASAAEgJ8pvD_BwE

• Like Like x 1
  9. Halfords Professional range??

• Like Like x 1
  10. Agree Halfords ones are good. Get a 1/4 inch drive (low range) 3/8 (mid range) and 1/2 (high range)

Although for a first one get the 3/8

• Like Like x 1
  11. They are called Halfords Advanced - I linked to them above :):upyeah:

12. Thanks people.

Was thinking Halfords.

Trying to keep costs down to a minimum at the moment so probably the 3/8 drive (medium) for now.

Mainly for servicing stuff at the moment (cam belt tensioners etc) so should be ok ?

13. Yes, I suggest the 3/8 as its most versatile. The Teng 1/4 I have is great for the light stuff but I dont use it as often, and the 1/2 drive Halfords Advanced one I have is used for the heavy duty stuff from 80nm up such as the primary gear on our bikes. I would suggest the 1/2 as the next one to get.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Out of interest - Do you torque pretty much everything ?

In the past I think the only stuff I've done has been things like Head bolts.

I know the SSIE is not considered one of the better Ducatis - but I like it and want it to last, I'm sure I have caused problems in the past, on other bikes, by over tightening etc :)

15. If you're used to spannering then you can usually tighten most stuff by feel but, if you have the torque figures handy and a bit more time you won't go wrong using them - especially on aluminium. Rear axle nuts can give bearing issues if over tightened also. I consider myself fairly handy but if I have the torque numbers I tend to use them :upyeah:
    I have a Halfords xx - 300 Nm torque wrench (bought for rear wheel bearing on car) and can recommend the quality at good price

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeah I agree here, you develop a feel for stuff, I have stripped threads along the way, this is how you learn. If the torque numbers are there I tend to use them for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Going to do this tomorrow.

What’s the easiest / best way to do it ?

18. Rear paddock stand......................I have one of those as well......

19. Doh.

I have it up on a rear paddock stand in the shed, so just need to measure the shock.

I haven’t forgotten your kind offer, I’m hoping to contact you in the near future to come and see you, if that’s ok.

20. Full length of shock is 360mm

Do Not Sell My Personal Information