1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Ie Service Etc Etc.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Alan williams, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Yes OK whenever - you need to check to see if my front stand will work. Look at your bike and see if a 25mm bar will pass through the frame behind the headstock under the top tubes and over the airbox. It was OK on mine even with the tank in place.

2. image.jpg

Through there ?

3. See above pic

Can get a bar through there yes.

Thanks

4. About the same as mine it seems.......mine was a carbed model.

See pics - note the rear one, not even using the front stand to do a swingarm swap.

Front.jpg SW2.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bike looks super :)

Steel for alloy swap??

6. They look ideal.

7. Yep.........the bike went through many guises; using it regularly and gradually sorted it to how I wanted it.

This is how it finally ended up......

1.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Nice...

9. Seems measurement should be from centres of eyebolts.
    Mine is 330mm.

Looking around I’ve found differing numbers.

Some say pre 99 is 330 and post 99 335mm

So potentially my shock is 5mm too short ?

10. Make of shock? Photo? Some IEs had adjustable shocks.

IIRC Carbed SS shock is about 330mm with the later SSie shocks being 335mm long

• Like Like x 1
  11. That would tie up with the shock shown in your last set of pictures. The I.E. shock has a threaded section at the lower eye bolt to "allow" for some fine tuning of the ride height.
    The extra 5mm that an IE shock give helps quicken the steering quite nicely on the older carbed SS

• Like Like x 1
  12. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

It’s a Showa shock.

13. Yep, I think I said that some time back - non-adjustable for length; probably off a carbed SS.

If it works OK, I wouldn't worry about changing it; just drop your front forks through 5mm, that should bring the steering speed back.

14. Yes I think you did when it was first bought up.
    Not worried about changing it, maybe get a correct one when it needs replacing.

Thanks for the help (again)

15. Finally got round to tensioning the belts.
    ( thanks again to @Arquebus for the bolts)

I used the Allen key method.
    Tried the gates app but wasn’t getting consistent results (perhaps because I don’t have an external mic).

Bit of paranoia - tensioned them, tightened, checked again, turned engine over a few times (by hand), checked again and repeated too many times :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Check them again after 300 miles.

By the way, were there some bellville type washers under the old bolt heads which you have re-used?

17. Yes re-used the washers thanks.

The rate I’m going 300 miles seems a long way off. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Had forgotten about this.

One of the cam belt covers is broken, see pic.
    The nut had been glued on, but it hadn’t held.
    Any tips on repairing ?
    Glue it again and hope it holds this time ?
    I don’t think it’s critical but would like to try and repair it or get a replacement.

97EC6855-1715-466B-B9EF-4F2E052CEDFA.jpeg

19. The cobers are still availabke from Stein Dinse. Repairing this mount will not be strong I dont think. Have you got a bigger picture?

20. @Desmoquattro
    Wasn’t sure if you meant of the whole thing or of the damage.
    Do these help ?

FCD7908B-3ECA-46F6-9D09-A36B0CF10CF8.jpeg B4A54A6B-FC42-4CFE-8C13-52773A4B5275.jpeg 19E54389-B4AA-4FE6-8880-812D8654EB0F.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information