1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Reg/ret

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chizel, Mar 5, 2017.

1. My 750 came with an RR51 two wire Electrex reg/rec.

Never gave me any trouble in seven years although I suspect it would have done if I hadn't sorted out the wiring and connections properly.

Basically the RR51 is so simple to fit - no hacking about of anything, uses the same backplate to aid cooling etc - disadvantage IMO is cost.

However, a mate of mine had a good idea to improve the cooling the OEM reg/rec on his 900 SS - in addition to the ally backplate, he reverse fitted a scrap OEM one to the back plate after having dug out the guts. It was then mounted below the original frame mounting point, so it didn't foul anything.

2. If the original is working ok, what's the advantage in replacing it??

3. The original has had its problems in the past, before we owned the bike. The connectors have burnt at some stage and someone has done a poor repair on them. I will change the reg/rec for a mosfet one and rewire it anyway. That way the charging system might prove more reliable. The ST2 system is a very weak point on the bike and knowing this I fitted a voltmeter ages ago.

4. Thanks Bob,
    Couldn't understand why you'd be fixing something that wasn't broke, as it were.

5. What did you sort out in the end @chizel

6. Very interesting the 3 phase MOSFET regulators will work fine on 2 wire generators, I'll have to remeber that one!.

7. nothing as yet, can't get my PayPal to work!

8. on your phone? could be the Reg/ret has blown

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. its a pain n the hole. EBay say its a PayPal.problem and PayPal say its eBay. Have waisted hours on the phone to both in the last 12 months and its still happening. Can't even spend my own money in my PayPal account.. Cvnts

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. If you give me all of your private account details,Ill see what I can do.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. When my first reg/rec failed I replaced it with an Electrex World unit it malfunctioned temporarily after 7/8 months I e-maild them about the problem but got no reply and after just 13 months it packed up completely I e-mailed them again and got no reply, just bad luck on my side but very poor service from them. Shindengen every time for me in the future.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  12. if you want to steal my identity and take on my debt we should meet! Ya welcome to all my info! I'll throw in the missus too! ( that bit was a joke... I don't have one)

13. but beware, heavy lies the crown... Its not easy being king...

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information