1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Fork Repairs

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Alan Murphy, Jan 12, 2020.

1. EFB5C302-675A-496E-A994-5DCD13C47233.jpeg Has anyone seen anything like this before and any contacts for repairs to something like this? 48FB9136-BB76-4305-937E-5C89B0E656A2.jpeg

2. Hi Alan I think thats a common problem on the 916-996-998 its like the metal has burst from inside I replaced my 998s forks for the same reason , boonstra in Holland sent me a perfect used set for 300 euro , hope you get sorted

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I've seen a set off a 749 that were far worse than these. It's corrosion which has started where there has been a nick or a scratch in the anodised surface coating. The only real cure is replacement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yep, one of my 748 forks went that way. If you find someone who can repair it let me know please. The issue is the ribbed texture of the fork leg, rub it down or blast it to remove the corrosion and you lose the ribbing as well. I got a replacement forks, 2nd hand for £150, less than the cost of any repair probably.
    E0BF89D2-21DB-4270-B03A-2CA9C12324EF.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. I've never seen this before and mine are fine but if you get just one fixed it might look odd alongside the other one appearance wise.

#5 XH558, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  6. Personally , I could never have confidence again , whatever the repair
    with damage that deep into the bulk of the metal .

I'd go for replacement , if only for peace of mind .....

.... but just my two chetrum worth .

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Cheapskate ! My opinion is worth at least 3 ngultrum. Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. My MV failed its MOT because of that. The tester I use is a MX rider he said he has seen forks snap because of this kind of corrosion
    I have a roll of clear Gaffa tape used for repairing poly tunnels. I put a strip of that on the front of my forks to protect from stone chips

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. I searched all over to see if it could be repaired or get new uppers. You can't. I have set of Showas off my Duc and looked for them as well.
    You can get replacement lower stanchions though

10. I believe it occurs where a stone chip breaks the surface of the anodised layer, moisture gets in and under the layer and begins to work it’s evil magic. Mine stood for a while so that didn’t help matters:(. The clear tape is a good idea.
    I only ever found complete fork replacements when I was looking, couldn’t find anyone who’d split them into component parts. Anyway, mine are now nice and blingy TiN coated:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Doh ! ... you got me .

I've got a very large collection of fairly obscure coins , going back over many years of travel , and I can honestly say that I've never had a ngultrum in my pocket .

But it's now on my wish list .....;)
    Especially since the beautiful country of Bhutan has made it easier for travelers to visit in recent years .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks for the input fellas.
    The full story is that these were a replacement set for my manky pitted forks.
    I paid very good money for them as I wasn’t happy when I saw them.

They were advertised on eBay and the issue was described as “pitting”.

IMO they’re way beyond that, so have asked for a refund so will see how that goes before I say anything more about the seller.
    Real shame as the rest of that fork and the other one are mint and the damage is in a position that you’d never see when built but I’m more concerned about the integrity of the fork and the damage spreading.

I’ll update you when it’s sorted...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ok, I’ve found a right leg from a 1998 916 to replace the damaged one I pictured.
    My bike is 1995 - QUESTION - Will this fit my bike??

14. The leg will fit but the brake won't fit the fork bottom. By 1998 the calipers had changed from 40mm bolt spacing to 65mm. You could of course swap the bottoms over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yes, it'll fit just fine. Main difference is the brake mountings, but 916 were all 40mm afaik.
    You can get new outers but they are expensive, about £500. Good used forks are getting rare now, I've been after a set for my 748 and have accumulated enough to build a good set from parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Yes that’s the one, how do I strip the bottom bracket off the old one???

17. Your biggest problem is holding the tube, there is a grub screw on the inside of the fork bracket, then it is threaded on.
    Steve

18. I think he should be able to swap the whole tube complete with fork bottom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. It obviously depends on the condition of the old tube.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information