1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Fork Repairs

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Alan Murphy, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Cheers boys, old tube is pitted so it’s swapping bottom bracket needed.
    Looking at it now, my eyes aren’t the best but that grub screw is super small, looks like a weird size Allen that I don’t have!
    Anyone know What is the size??
    my eyes are shit, old age doesn’t come alone!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Feck me, I only paid c.£150 for a pair! Admittedly 2nd hand but in perfect condition, although I did an oil change on ‘em not knowing how old the old stuff was.

Iirc you also need to apply a lot of heat. As @Birdie said, the hard part is holding the tube. There’s a vid on YouTube about doing it, may even be an official ish Ohlins vid.

3. £150 a pair!!
    You did well!!
    I’ve been looking for months and found nothing tidy under £400.

4. Yep, they were from another forum member on here, £150 & £17 postage to Ireland.

@Russell had something a couple of months ago, hopefully he’ll see this.

5. same here 250 euro for a really nice set of ti-nitrate 998s forks but the same crowd is looking for 230euro for one 748 fork now ?

6. You got a link?

7. You can buy new Stanchions from a place in Italy. No link so you will have to google
    It would mean you only need to remove the Fork bottom you need

8. Thanks but I need complete forks as have pitting throughout.
    Happy to change bottom brackets over

9. Sorry thought you meant you had got hold of forks with decent tops an putted stanchions but needed to change the bottoms

10. it looks like a T7 torx head on the set screw and both the set screw and the tube are Loctited in.

There are videos on you tube

and here on a GD051 without a tube grip tool

Not sure I would use a blow torch but you will need to get quite a bit of heat into it
    I have a useable left hand fork tube with the 40mm mount if you want it .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 2
  11. Thanks for that

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Pirinimoto are brilliant, and if those st forks fit your yokes then really - 300 quid for a brand new set of forks- why wouldn’t you.

13. I thin that is toast, and unsafe to use moving forward - but thats just my opinion.

14. There are refinishers out there that can do the outer tubes, but all of these 'issues' should be judged on an individual basis.

15. 0D07B13D-DFE9-4E90-A732-DCAA8C2F4E2D.png Got a set of immaculate forks from these guys in Netherlands- outstanding service, communication and value - recommended 0D07B13D-DFE9-4E90-A732-DCAA8C2F4E2D.png

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information