1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 Fuel Pump Doesn’t Stop Priming

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Miika, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 13.42.35.png

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Yep:upyeah:

3. Yep you can look the picture I uploaded.

4. It does look the an ECU failure then.

5. When I first fitted the Termis to my bike and replaced the chip with the Ducati supplied part, it ran the pump continuously and wouldn't start.
    I went back to the dealer who tried several other chips from new, boxed termis and they were all the same. In the end they took a chip from the Termis for a new, on the showroom floor 916 'Senna' and that worked fine so it seems even new chips can be bad...

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I have heard this problem already. I just cant believe the chip is the issue here because it has never taken off the ecu. The chip has worked for 15 years so i doubt that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Either the ECU is at fault or the pump ground wire (the one the ECU pulls low) is shorting to the frame, or an adjacent ground in the loom.

8. you have tried removing and refitting chip though? I can't speak from personal experience but, if Forums can be trusted, this has solved an identical problem on similar bikes, including the link that Birdie added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I can't speak from direct experience of chips in bikes , but in general terms , re-seating a chip
    can sometimes cure electronics problems that have become a real headache to track down .
    It works by "scrubbing" the contact point between each pin and it's socket hole .

This only applies to chips in sockets , of course .

Gently lift the chip at both ends .... it only needs to be raised out of the socket by a millimeter or so
    then push it back into the socket using a thumb at each end .....
    ..... try to avoid putting too much force on the board .

Some people insist on complete removal of the chip , but this has it's own problems if proper
    extraction and insertion tools are not available .... eg. risk of bending or mis-aligning pins ,
    static discharge etc .

No guarantees ..... but mighty satisfying when it clears a fault that had you tearing your hair out :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. If the pin is not making contact then the pump would never run, because it is a 'pull down' control line. I doubt reseating the ECU will help here. I think unplugging ECU loom and checking for a short to ground on the pump wire is the next best move.

11. Have tried already.

12. have tried that one too:(

13. Hi Miika
    Any up date to the problem.

14. Not yet i am still wating for the new ecu to come.:confused:

15. So yesterday i got my new ecu and the bike started finally:innocent: I went riding yesterday and the bike worked fine. After 8 years... i bet you can imagine the feeling:cool::upyeah:

• Like Like x 10
  16. I can, and many more on here also. I learnt the hard way that the rubber bung on top of the ECU giving you access to the chip is rarely adequate in stopping water ingress and ironically, it's the "Void" sticker that does a better job as long as it's intact.

on an MV so similar:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information