1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 Problems

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by duke123, Apr 14, 2017.

1. hi all.just joined forum and looking for some help as I have a few electric problems I need to solve and any help would be greatly appreciated. firstly switch ignition on there's nothing but flick relay over and comes on but will turn off with key. it has also stopped sparking .was turning over but weezed to a stop and now just clicks at starter solenoid which I replaced.also new battery fitted.any ideas.

2. Poor earth could cause this, also corroded battery terminals/cables.
    What battery did you get?
    These motors take a lot of turning over...
    Could be the starter motor itself. Have you tried a battery straight to the starter terminals?
    Lots of folk on here have replaced the starter circuit cables with less resistant ones which really boost starting.
    The oem cables are marginal when new and get worse over time. When you come to start the engine, the resistance soaks up so much energy that even if the motor will turn over, there's not enough juice left for the ignition circuit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hi thanks for reply.just sorted ignition switch to come on there was a break in one of the cables in sheath.yt still no spark .replaced starter and battery cables for thicker gauge and using a moto bat and platinum batteries. wired spare starter Co cable and smell clicking from solenoid .

5. Have you tried replacing all the relays??
    When t he solenoid clicks does everything go dead??

6. If the solenoid smells hot and all connections are clean it seems like the starter could be your problem. If it won't turn over how do you know there's no spark?
    Sort one problem at a time.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  8. OK thanks guys .so could it be down to 3 problems .solenoid.starter or sprag clutch .

9. If it was the sprag the starter would just spin without turning the engine, double check all contacts are clean and tight, if the solenoid just clicks it could be at fault, try and bridge the solenoid connections if it then spins the engine it is your solenoid. If it still doesn't turn then it's possibly your starter.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  10. 20170416_133439.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. found the starting problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Well done.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  13. electrics also sorted .replaced connectors on ignition relay.seems to have fixed it

• Like Like x 2
  14. Let us know when it's up and running.
    Steve

15. ???

16. burnt out starter motor

20170416_133439.jpg

17. Can see how that could be a problem... :(

18. Hi in a similar way I have an issue with my ST2. 1997 vintage so plenty of time to age cable joints. Just got her back on the road after 6 months laid up. Starter engages but not man enough to turn the engine (sometimes) tries but then just stalls out. Sometimes just turns her over enough to fire. Already read on another site about the poor cables. My question is where is the best place to buy replacements from? I saw Sun Motorcycles on e bay, are they any good? Also when done was going to check voltage drop under starting load, as do not know the real condition of the Yuasa battery. Thanks for any help. Also from reading this sound like I should check and clean any electrical connectors.

19. Re: " where is the best place to buy replacements from? "

If you don't feel like making your own up (as OP did) then someone will be along very soon, I can feel it in my water.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  20. Looking on the web, I seem to have found 2 other probable options. Cannot see that Sun do a kit. Just seem to have the earth cable. The other 2 are Exact-Start and Custom Starter Cables. The former at about £80 and the latter at £38. I read in a thread to take the cables off and match them up individually in Halfords. Not sure how much that would be....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information