1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 Problems

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by duke123, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Cable and solder terminals off ebay for my 996 about £10, finish off with some heat shrink and voula

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.
    Yes, you can make up your own cables if you have the skills and time to mess about.
    You can get Halfords but if you want a top quality kit, manufactured to railway industry standards, that is designed specifically to perfectly fit your Ducati 916 and comes with full instructions, get the ExactStart cables from @Exige on here.
    He will even give you a forum discount if you take the trouble to pay a fiver to subscribe.
    It will be the best money you've ever spent on your bike.
    When it comes to batteries, get an AGM type battery, they pack a bigger starting punch than conventional lead acid, so are perfect for our big twins and Yuasa make one for about 50 quid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I fitted some US made cables to my 916, work great but were a silly price.

I got Halfords cables for my Monster as I needed some odd lengths due to relocating the solenoid and what they had were just about right, they were very cheap and as good as the expensive versions. Also replaced the cables on the old Guzzi with Halfords brand and that needs some serious power to turn it over - it has (and needs) a 32AH battery FFS!

I considered making my own but by the time I'd bought the cable & connectors it would have cost more...

4. The US cables are a silly price and don't fit that well either, not on a 999 anyway, in fact they are a right pita to fit on a 999.
    The worst bit is the battery box and battery terminals.
    This is where the ExactStart cables score because they are tailored to fit. They are also made to the highest standards of corrosion resistance in the joints, current capacity and low electrical resistance. The Halfords cables may be fine when new but the ExactStart ones should retain their performance a lot longer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Go on admit it ,youre on comission arent you.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I don't doubt it but the Halfords cables work fine, cost a fiver and I can pick one up from the local branch 5 miles away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I wish...
    I actually have the American kit in my bike. The performance is fine but they were a pain in the ass to fit, weren't as well made as Stu's and were a really silly price by the time I'd imported them. Something like 130 quid.
    It is still the best money I've spent on my bike though, so Stu's kit for way less money, with decent step by step illustrated instructions and tailor made to fit your bike seems like great value to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cheque's in the post :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. The Exact kit is worth the money. I've the tools, parts and the capability to make my own, yet I still went that route. Superb, well thought out and documented. I've had at least three sets.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Please be careful when soldering cables.
    You are making a solid joint on something that vibrates like a rabbit connected to the mains.
    I've had a near lifetime in the electronics game, one hat or another, and you need flexibility on that copper cable.
    If you choose to solder, use clear heat shrink so you can see if the copper strands start to fray from the solid joint.
    Ensure your supporting heat shrink carries on at least 15mm from the edge of the joint.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I bought my cables from Ducati ST2 ST3 ST4 Upgraded Starter Cable Wiring Kit | eBay
    these were for my ST2, but he does a lot of other ones.
    He has a Face Book Page. Search
    Very happy and good quality. Read up the blerb on the end sealing etc.
    Would also suggest you clean all the terminals with a brush and wipe off with spirit. When all tightened you can grease over with Vasceline/terminal grease. I found that in disturbing the starter solenoid the "start" wire connector came out. Was advised to put a cable tie around to ensure it stays in place. Happy Fixing

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. Uh oh :Muted:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. ^ You could easily be shot at dawn Richard, I was just trying to think of the last time I played Monopoly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. If your cables look like this then you won't be shot at dawn

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Probably should have cleaned the yellow bits a little and maybe taken the photo at a tighter angle:sweat:

#34 Denzil the Ducati, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Go on, give the rest of it a clean too :Wideyed:

16. Chris will know the story of the brown spots on the frame, casing, cam belt covers and battery box damage which is all due to a few ccs of battery acid spilling out of an AGM battery when the reg failed over voltage (19v) and melted a hole in the battery case. A normal battery would have dumped a litre of acid and wrecked the bike. Makes the cables look even nicer.

#36 Denzil the Ducati, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Looks pretty good to me Denzil. Never been convinced by the super clean. Cables look like they've been lifted from a power station. Should last the life of the bike.

18. IIRC the cables have strong connection to the railway industry:locomotive:
    ExactUK

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Which cable came out and what came apart? Is this the new cable or an existing one?

• Like Like x 1
  20. The little white plug at the back of the solenoid is renound for working loose.
    Steve

Do Not Sell My Personal Information