1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Horico, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Definitely - everything will be getting put to one side and we'll see if anything is worth selling or passing on.

2. Definitely - everything will be getting put to one side and we'll see if anything is worth selling or passing on later on.

3. Definitely - everything will be getting put to one side and we'll see if anything is worth selling or passing on later on.

4. That’s some serious camera/filming going on there? Great thread, keep it up please, don’t let it wither away like so many.

5. Definitely - everything will be getting put to one side and we'll see if anything is worth selling or passing on later on.

6. As it often does after some time, I forgot all about this thread and updating it as we moved on with the project. The irony is that it's now been a while since a video was made and you'd be excused for thinking that the project was dead. It's not, but it has been delayed slightly.

For anyone that wants to get up to speed with the stripdown, you can see the playlist on youtube here:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7DdW9RIy7cwtUzVRArgBi_PY2H1KWril

There's about 4 more videos before things ground to a halt, initially due to that thing that happened where we all had to stay indoors.....

Over the last couple of years, despite no filming, I've been trying to prep things ready for putting the bike back together. The frame, wheels and headlight bucket was painted a colour matched gold:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  7. You'll see in the last video that the Ohlins shock was refurbished by BG Motorsport and while a bit of a triggers broom, looks amazing!

[​IMG]

Next up was a bit of cerakoting. I've become less and less concerned with making it appear original as it will always be a bitsa and as you'll understand shortly, my long term plan has solidified with it basically being done to my taste so I'll basically do as I please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the meantime, the cases had a minor repair:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  8. Now, the reason for the further delay. The original partner in the channel and build basically decided to close his workshop and have nothing more to do with bikes, even for fun. Before recently, he was simply too busy for us to get together and crack on with the build. As it stood, we had everything to get a rolling chassis built up but of course, you should really start with the engine so I've made that the next goal.

I'm going to be hopefully teaming up with a well-known local Ducati man and get the engine built up as soon as is possible but jobs to do first are:

1. Cerakote the cases and small pieces like the intake and exhaust covers. The cases will be silver and the smaller parts grey, similar to the other parts already done. Will drop these off this week.
    2. Balance the crank - this will be with the engineers this week too - all being well.

I've already taken delivery of a large order from Moto Rapido (excellent service from Craig, really top notch) with everything needed to build the engine up, inc bearings, seals, clutch kit, belts etc.

The only part that's been an issue is the Exhaust valve cover with the oil cooler mountings on. For some reason, I'm missing one and they're no longer available. I'm hoping the eBay replacement is as good as it looks on the ad and will be here soon.

Ebay link if of use: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294353795884

• Like Like x 3
  9. We're closing in on having everything in place for the engine rebuild. The crank is due to be ready this week and the remaining cases, I'm told, will be ready Tuesday.

In the meantime, I had the last of the hardware which was suitable to be plated, plated. The only let down are the two engine boots that go theough the frame, the swingarm pivot volt and the front axle. Rather than have them done in the yellow, I went for silver but they didn't fare too well.

Now, i expect they're not too worse for wear to use for a short time but I think I'll be replacing them soon. The smaller ones first as they're cheaper!

20230307_140615.jpg

20230307_134937.jpg

20230307_134943.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Always best off giving the parts you take for plating a polish first. The corrosion will only come back with time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. For me personally, it's my first time having a lot of this stuff done so sometimes it's a learning experience.

In other news, the engine cases and cover cerakoting will be done soon - I got some sneak pics of a few of the parts.

IMG-20230314-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20230314-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230314-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230314-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230314-WA0004.jpg

#31 Horico, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 8
  12. Now they do look good. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Horico,
    Where did you get the plating done, i need to send a load off to someone. And did you have to prep it first or do they do all that?

Stu

14. They were done by Protech Finishing in Northampton.

Protech Finishing Ltd
    01604 792163
    https://g.co/kgs/9YNxAw

I didn't do anything to mine before dropping them in but maybe I should have given the larger ones some attention first. I didn't discuss the process but I'm sure they'd be happy to go through it.

#34 Horico, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Thank you

• Like Like x 2
  16. I don't think I shared this update. The subframe that came with the bike was the ali mono version but after it was cleaned, blasted and cerakoted, it came to light that there were some cracks in it.

I hadn't inspected it too closely beforehand but was still a little disappointed that the coater didn't mention it to me as he did admit to seeing them quite early on.

Anyway, I asked a local custom place to fix it up and on closer inspection, not only was it cracked, the mounting holes were stretched and it was out of true.

He welded up the cracks and re-did the mountibg holes while straightening it up while attached to the frame. Turned out quite well in the end.

IMG-20221121-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20221121-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20221121-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20221121-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20221121-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20221121-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20221121-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20221121-WA0009.jpg

20230319_164311.jpg

20230319_164319.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Looks like that subframe may have been whacked at some point in its life.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Certainly. Probs the same reason the bike has a 96 front end and a different frame.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Picked up the cerakoted parts today. I need to get everythingout for the obligatory picture but these will do for now.
    A couple of items were meant to be bare silver and cleared but I'll think about whether they'll do in this colour for now - mainly the non engine parts like caliper carrier etc.

20230401_121025.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  20. 20230401_121036.jpg 20230401_121107.jpg

20230401_121123.jpg

20230401_121142.jpg

20230401_121148.jpg

20230401_121201.jpg

• Like Like x 6
Do Not Sell My Personal Information