1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Leesey, Mar 26, 2020.

1. So the bolt is going to need to be drilled out I have tried everything.
    Now where is the best place to get new bolts from?

now this restoration is going to take longer than I had hoped due to illness and the current climate. So the plan is to buy all of the bits that I need and then next winter strip her down and get her sorted.

also is ebay or the like the best place to get oe spec clutch covers etc to de carbonise her back to original?

2. Oe clutch cover available from your local dealer for c£35

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks jack I have to say your 748r thread is a bit of inspiration.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Just a thought on your bolt. Was there a nut on the other side? If so, is the hole threaded? Check in one you have removed. If not a drift and gentleman’s persuader might help? Shot in the dark but worth a look. Bolt might be a bit bent that’s all.

5. Sorry. Ignore that. Just checked on my BIP. It’s the sub frame that’s held on by nut, not footrest hanger.

#25 Expat Jack, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  6. Would that one have the steel cover that you can still buy new, or an ally one?

7. Whatever happens you will need a new bolt if you want to put rear pegs on.
    It will be a M8 x 20mm cap screw, readily available on ebay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Good question. Its a 916. Part number is 24310251AC. Bit more cash, c£50
    Not sure if its steel or alloy. Checked and the price for my 748 is now c£50 too - must be running low on stock. I have a new one that is not fitted for the 748r. Its worth having in ad will go on any of mine when and if they go on a track in the future.

9. Agree, or you can get the OEM part. Expensive option obviously but depends how anal you are. c£1 per bolt

10. You will need the clutch cover gasket too if there isn’t one fitted (a lot get removed when open/carbon cover fitted).

11. I will prob buy them from Ducati as I want it to be right.

will also need a front sprocket cover and chain guard so the list is growing but will speak to Ducati when funds allow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sure that most of these parts will be available on ebay if you put in 916 and select the option to search for parts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hugh is correct but check dealer prices first as some sellers ask more as people assume the part is not available.

EDIT. Plus, if you get you list together and it’s reasonably weighty, you should be able to negotiate a little discount. Say, 10%.

#33 Expat Jack, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  14. Yep seen it happen when I was cycling some were paying way more at auction for second hand stuff than NOS, crazy fockers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. The rule of thumb is always get on the dog & bone,speak with the dealers first and foremost before you purchased anything online.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Leesey, strongly recommend Moto Rapido for spares, next day delivery and the prices do not always hurt and are often cheaper than second hand on ebay as suggested already Craig and Luke there know their parts and make sure they get them out quickly, they also sell some spares through ebay but you can get cheaper prices and a more comprehensive range of parts over the phone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. So this is on hold for a bit. Due to the current covid issue I have been really busy at work and the wife’s health has taken a turn for the worse so need to get the house finished as will need to look towards a bungalow! Add that to looking after her and 4 kids I don’t have time. So when we are allowed to ride again she will stay as she is and I will start amassing parts for when I am able to resume.
    I do need to sort that bolt though so she can go on it when we are allowed again.
    So the project is still ongoing but won’t be finished anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. That being said I may not be able to spend lots of £££’s however I can still clean so today I took the swing arm carbon off and the rear hugger which were all cleaned and de greased. Then I used a mild cutting compound on the carbon and then waxed it. The compound was done by hand as the da polisher has packed in.
    Then it was all put back on the bike even though long term I want to remove it back to stock.
    The carbon wasn’t treated as well as @Expat Jack however it will do for now as it will eventually be going anyway.

E8F7D8B7-BF76-4747-8044-B55952C4FBF4.jpeg

4F9AEB0A-6A43-4811-9F21-63704ED1B963.jpeg

158526B2-FE0D-4D17-BBC1-1DA6BA4369AC.jpeg

EB9B3487-53F2-484C-B39B-C9118E31090A.jpeg

0A7A1131-C6B2-4C39-8C14-5505B2250CF3.jpeg

1B49637E-95AA-41CE-A5DB-15D0CD452F74.jpeg

70530B00-E9E1-4759-8D5F-32D07E4BF6CA.jpeg

A31828F4-F664-4492-8AFD-F9CEF7A38110.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  19. It’s come up well :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks
    As I say it won’t be staying long term just got to source all original parts when I can then it will disappear

Do Not Sell My Personal Information