1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Steben, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Enjoyed that, thanks!
    More of a complete dismantle than a full restoration
    Let us know when he puts it back together …. :)

2. Just enjoyed Part 2

• Like Like x 3
  3. No need to support the frame when removing the swing arm bolt to remove the engine, it did come in handy later though when removing the forks.

4. Really enjoying these

5. I enjoy his stuff, but is that frame colour correct? Mine looks more matt. But then again, my paint is from 1998.

Ive been toying with the idea of doing mine. Toying on/off umming and aaahing. Procrastinating over it...I only really want to do the frame, to sort out those paint flakes with the surface rust etc.

6. His ratchet action in part one is epic......

• Like Like x 1
  7. A huge thumbs up from me as well, a man that knows his onions with the sockets & spanners etc, but the colours are not correct in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Gold is brighter than standard but looks good, IMO!

9. I agree, always thought the oem gold was a tad underwhelming and bland. But, it fits somehow.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Agreed on the color. May be that’s what his customer asked for, though. I too marvel at his ratcheting abilities. Those videos are almost professionally staged aren’t they? You have to love the « subscribe » hint hidden under one of his tool boxes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 100%, i just wish i could change rear tyres with a click of the fingers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. That’s something, isn’t it ? :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Episode 3 … don’t worry it’s not repainted red :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. It can’t ba a 916 if it’s not red. ☹️

15. I'm going to get my frame and headlight bucket painted methinks. Ive got it in pieces atm doing the cam belts and pulley bearings. Once I do that, Ill drop engine, remove forks etc and get them done. One job at a time. I need a bigger garage. BUT, my frame will be correct matt. So I'll take any recommendations if anyone has any.

16. Episode 4 ….

• Like Like x 1
  17. This wee series is excellent. Nice style and well filmed... It also highlights just how small a space I'm working in. Like I'm trying to build a bike behind the fridge!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Episode 5 (final episode) …

19. I've enjoyed the series also, he's probably taken as much time filming, editing as it's taken to do the restoration knowing how much footage and video's I produced over the years and how much just doesn't make the polished final product.

The subscribe thing was class, I thought how subtle and subconscious that appeared.

The only thing that alarmed me (maybe unjustly) was when he removed the engine and covered it in degreaser then pressure washed it, the air inlets and exhaust ports plus oil breather etc didn't look sealed to me and I was concerned about water getting into the engine.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information