1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Sps Build. Only Been Stood For 7 Years

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by FirePhil, May 6, 2019.

1. that would work...

2. If you are offering, I'm 15st with all gear on (very heavy leathers) and like ohlins yellow or hagon blue!

3. 20190521_194157.jpg any better?!

5. So today, went to the bike shop and returned with goodies... 20190521_160313.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. So front wheel is done, new stainless bolts and clean, non rusty bobbins! 20190521_191033.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dodgy wiring sorted too.
    20190521_160404.jpg 20190521_161114.jpg 20190521_161400.jpg

8. Which enabled me to put the battery on with the bracket I made. 20190521_162722.jpg

9. 20190521_104401.jpg Indicators looking good with new paint and put back together. Cant remember how to wire them back in through the air ducts...any ideas?
    Seeing as I shined the titanium up, thought it would just slip straight back on. Boy, was I wrong! 20190521_104401.jpg Any ideas how to get the exhaust back on and lined up so it doesn't pull the blue rubber bracket out of the frame!

20190521_104401.jpg

10. +1 for what FinalEdition said above ^^^^
    Maybe it's just the angle of the photo but it looks as though it's sitting too low with the belly too close to the ground.

11. Id've soldered the yellow wires rather than use connectors. The connectors can offer increased resistence, which leads to them getting hot and blackening. The net effect could (or so Ive been told) result in the reg/rec toasting itself.

Mine are soldered now after also being replaced with heavier duty wires. Apparently the OEM wires are not rated as adequate for the load. They get hot.

Good luck with build. Looking good. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. The pic is taken really high as I'm backed up against the work bench and cant get the whole bike in. I'll drag it outdoors and get another pic posted :)

13. Cheers. I did wonder why the wires were heavier duty than all the others. They may well get soldered yet, I too distrust aftermarket connectors!

14. The height of the rear subframe looks low and flat.

15. I have found the original wires don't like soldering. There is a connector on them anyway. There is also another connector in the mix, if using a converter to a MOSFET reg/rec. Never had any trouble.

16. it wants adjusting correctly with a datum tool...then everyone knows exactly where its at!

in fairness you can see the rear subframe isnt bolted in yet ...thatll help with the appearance

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. I had my stator rewound. So I had heavier duty wires installed at the same time. I solder the connection between RR and stator now. I got fed up of replacing RR's and batteries. My RR failures always took the battery with it. Im on my last Electrex which has lasted a fair while now. I used to do 1 or 2 a year and kept a spare under seat. Next will be mosfet one when it does toast itself.

Stupid place to put an RR. Next to a freaking hot manifold. Thingy on here (i forget) shifted it to rear no plate. An eminently sensible thing to do and one I intend to copy when my current one does nuke itself. I bought the cables etc in readiness. However, I hardly use my 916. Its last voyage was to the MOT station and its next will be the same journey. Which reminds me, I need to get a fork seal replaced...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mmm I think I might be Thingy!!

reg rec (1).JPG reg rec (2).JPG
    It's been there about 7 years now, trouble free.
    Steve

• Like Like x 6
Do Not Sell My Personal Information