1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 916 What Have I Got

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Morgan 916, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Of course the sting is the original price tag sting and sorry but £1000 Just wouldn't buy it! Lol it came with a carbon hugger with a tube for the pipe too run in, would things like this De value it as well? Are we talking completely factory for the best money? Even tho I never want too sell it!

2. The original early 916 Strada's had things like:

Non adjustable silver Brembo levers.
    The side fairings were riveted as well as the screen. The rivets are very desirable for the early ones.
    Elephant logo on the screen ( very few ) and fuel filler.
    Brembo Racing around the rear wheel hub and elephant logo on the inside.
    The oil radiator had anodised blue connectors.
    The exhausts should have the old style Ducati, matching lettering.
    Great if you've got the original toolkit and owners manual.

The frames were all stamped 916S

IMG_0167.JPG

I've seen nice original, low milers with the above spec sell for £10k plus.

#22 tricolore, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  3. You would also need an original clutch slave which should be fairly easy to get and I would think that all the brake hoses and clutch hose should be rubber, these may be more difficult to find. I've got some pics in my album showing these items when I returned my 97 bip back to standard trim a few years ago. Such a satisfying job to do as there are very few totally as they left the factory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. You can still buy the rubber brake lines from Ducati - fronts are 61840311A part number.

The earlier ones up to 1997 also had black mirrors made by FAR which you can't buy new anymore, they do come up on eBay occasionally.

Think the early 916's were made at the Varese factory and rumoured to be a slightly different shade of red and built with some varying parts !?

5. It's got the logo on the cap but can't find one on the screen anywhere thanks for all the advise I've been looking for this info for 4 days on the net but could really find much just bits really

20170731_204904.jpg

6. I have just bought a set of aftermarket FAR mirrors from a guy in Calfornia
    He has the original style FAR mirrors in black in his catalogue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Good to know, do you have the company name ?

The originals were very Matt whereas the newer ones were more of a satin finish. FAR are still producing all sorts of mirrors, perhaps they bought a batch of them..

I was told by Ducati they no longer supply the FAR brand..but the same style.

8. Does it have a P8 ecu? That would be another clue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I would have thought all 916's registered in 1994 were Strada's/Monoposto..

The Biposto was introduced in 1995. You see the occasional 1995 Bip on an M plate but mainly N plate onwards....

Like this one advertised on auto trader....

IMG_0167.JPG

10. http://moto-science.com/

• Like Like x 1
  11. My 916S was registered in 1994 DSC_1076.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. All 916 models frame numbers begin with (ZDM) 916S.

13. They only made 199 916S models in 1994 which were also all Monoposto.

14. Correct. See the picture above of my 916S Monoposto Europa (wrong wheels in the picture)

15. I've been restoring my 94 916 Strada and have acquired some valuable info if you're interested in creating a standard bike.
    Things like fairing and windscreen rivets and clips I've sourced. Chain guard is different on the very early bikes (shorter) if you need dimensions then a later one can be modified. I can also reproduce the Cagiva elephant into a standard screen. Etc etc

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. the strada was the 1st 916 range produced, it was produced in the cagiva factory under cagiva license,,the upper and lower fairings are rivetted together as opposed to tiny 4mm bolts,, also the screen is rivetted to the nose cone,, thats the easiest way to tell , also i think the leavers should be a brown colour, but all early bike whether strada or bip have elephants stamped here and there as that was cagiva's little emblem

17. Totally agree Stu
    Mine has dark bronze levers and I've taken the original rivets and clips and had them reproduced. Also have sourced, albeit limited Cagiva screens with correct logo if anyone needs one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The early ones didn’t have adjustable levers, they were just standard silver brembo levers.

37208201-E3A5-4C02-B9C3-F2ABB0E6C5E1.jpeg

19. Then someone must have changed mine on its way to me from Italy and put the same levers on as my 888 in 93

• Like Like x 1
  20. From Ian Falloons book on the 916. Probably Ducati did use what ever levers they had at the time but in many books it does say the early ones were non adjustable...

897222DB-6983-47A1-97EE-B0EF2FDD7A7D.jpeg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information