1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'93 900ss Alternator Wiring

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ush1000, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Greetings,

Have had the alternator cover off my bike (left side engine case) to cure slight oil weep. Can anyone tell me if the alternator wiring (2 yellow wires) should be uninterrupted all the way to the block connector behind the steering head, or as is the case with my bike, there is a break in the wires with 2 bullet connectors about half way along? Difficult to tell if this is OEM or aftermarket bodge (sorry Ducati) suspect the latter for convenience.

The reason I ask, when I started the bike today for the first time since putting it all back together, it fired up perfectly but then I noticed smoke coming from the bullet connectors. I switched off and sure enough the wires were hot to the touch. I let them cool down, inspected them, they looked ok. Thought I would try to start the bike again but when pushing the starter I just get a whirring noise and starter won't engage. If the bullet connections are a bodge then I reckon I will cut them out and solder the wires and protect with heatshrink. Is it maybe possible the rectifier has been damaged if the wires shorted across?

Many thanks

2. My '97 900SS has the bullet connectors on the yellow wires. Cable tied to the side of the frame. I know this because I disconnected the alternator there when the regulator/rectifier let go, then I rode home on what was left in the battery.

MB.

3. Thanks MB electrical stuff is my weakest (why buy Italian I hear you ask). So should I be able to disconnect the alternator and still start the bike?

4. Yes, you can still start the bike, as I did when I rode home. Obviously it won't be charging the battery. When I rode home on the battery I shorted out the alternator connections - sounds wrong but is the correct thing to do. Wouldn't worry about it if you are only starting it up for a short time though.

5. Should I short out the connections (how?) if all I want to do is prove the problem is with the alternator wiring, or just disconnect bullet connectors?

6. Think I am being a bit thick, reckon you have already answered that question doh

7. Just disconnect them.

8. Yeah nothing doing so maybe regulator fried, can hear fuel pump and dash lights ok but not turning over. Bugger

9. Battery might not have enough juice in it to crank the engine over.

10. Battery is pretty good and been on trickle charge. Have had the bike long enough to know that 'oh its not going to turn over today' feeling. Pressing the starter, doesn't sound like its trying to turn the engine over at all. Have to try to work out why the wiring was getting so hot so quickly at the bullet connectors and what damage may have occurred. Bike started on the button and was running perfectly until I switched it off, maybe ran for a minute before I noticed the smoke.

11. have you done a continuity test on the yellow wires to earth
    incase some reason they are earthing out causing a short
    if it was fine before you had the casing off think i would check around where they go through to see if they have nipped or maybe even take the casing off just to check inside they are fine
    wiring problems are so much fun ..not

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. #12 johnny, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  13. The bullet connectors are OEM on that bike but with age they get oxidised/corroded which creates resistance. This causes them to heat up, which in time will cause the issue to get worse and the insulation to melt. Replace them with new, or better still gold plated which will handle the current and not corrode.

14. Thanks peeps very much for replies, I have pushed the boat out and ordered gold plated connectors!!!!!!!!!

I will update when I have fitted them. Electrical stuff, sigh

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ok update - decided to hardwire the wires. Still wont turn over, referring to my earlier comments it just sounds different when I press the starter. Checked battery, its showing nearly 13V which is ok I think? A bit stuck for ideas as usual.........

16. Might be worth taking the cover off again and giving the starter a thorough check over, worn brushes would stop it turning over, may have ust happenned at the same time as your other problem.

17. Sorted at last. To check the starter I put a screwdriver across the starter relay cables and the biked turned over, just. So I replaced the relay. Still no joy but it nearly turned over then started clicking, so really looked like duff battery. New battery, hey presto roared into life. Will check charging system later just to make sure all is well.

Lesson learned for me - battery may indicate it is healthy, taking charge and decent output, but can still be knackered.
    Total outlay - £100. Happy with that.

Thanks for helpful replies as always

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information