1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

937/950 Changes And Models To Be Aware Of?

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Sidney Post, Jun 11, 2021.

1. I am considering a "mid-size" Ducati for general touring, pleasure rides, and general fun on local roads.

I have waffled from a Monster to a Multistrada but, I'm thinking the SuperSport might be the best option after talking to some dealers. I live in East Texas (USA) and to be honest, I don't recall seeing a local Ducati in the last 10 years though, luxury automobiles are fairly common with people from the bigger cities escaping the craziness for a little bit of the relaxed rural lifestyle.

I'm currently trying to arrange a demo ride with a Ducati dealer about 3 hours away. I have ZERO real-world experience with Ducati. I have roughly 4 decades of experience on dual-sports and off-road motorcycles so, I am not that knowledgeable with street bikes.

In general, Nakeds and I are not a good pairing as I don't like the air blast on my chest for longer rides. I have demoed the Yamaha MT-07, MT-09, and MT-10. The only one to stir my soul was the MT-10 with its R1 engine, frame, and suspension. However, I found it to be clumsy in low-speed maneuvers. The Indian FTR Carbon was a real eye-opener and a viable option for me with brutal acceleration from the torque if you want to run 100+MPH and handling was much better than expected.

The Yamaha FJR was a big letdown as I found its acceleration to be a bit lethargic and the ride itself did nothing for me; I might as well have been driving my Honda Accord. The ride itself felt disconnected from the road and more akin to sitting in my recliner at home than it did taking a pleasure ride on a nice road. The Super Tenere was a nice option but, I don't think I want the SUV of the motorcycle world. The one that really caught my attention was the Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX with a lot of nice touring features like cruise control and 125HP and 75ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheel though the range is a little low with this thirsty inline-4 and an average size gas tank.

Coming full circle, the little Yamaha R-3 and Kawasaki KLX-300SM were absolute balls to ride! Their modest power means I could wring their necks and still generally be within the public law in regards to speed and similar things. They were super light and super nimble so really tempting for local rides. The Royal Enfield Rocket 350 was a little more 'agricultural' but, a really viable option too. It would make an awesome commuter or college option though, I'm not a fan of the heel shifter. The KTM/Husqvarna 390's were a bit of a letdown, at least the Svartpilen I rode was. Power, in general, was good but, acceleration seemed a bit dull and it topped out on RPM pretty easy with a really harsh cutoff.

This brings me to Triumph and Ducati. With a rebuilt shoulder and repetitive stress issues with my wrists, I think the Speed Triple is probably too "Supersport" racebike oriented to be a practical option to me and I don't get the Scrambler appeal. I really like the looks of the Panigale V2 but, the Gargoyle race crouch and race track oriented engine are not a viable option for me and it has power way in excess of what I will ever need on the street.

I am really down to these Ducati options:
    1. SuperSport (missnamed IMHO)
    2. Multistrada
    3. Hyperstrada/Hypermotard (Super Moto!)
    4. Monster
    I want ~100HP (or less if torque is really good down low through mid-range) and something in the ~450lb range with a low CG that handles well (wheelbase, rake/trail, etc.). How much difference is there between the 937 and 950 engines? Is it all just tweaks for Euro5 emissions or is there more to it? How often is Desmo service and what is a reasonable price for this service at a dealership?

I'm thinking if I go Naked, something like the Indian FTR Carbon makes a lot of sense but, at $17K it is certainly spendy without a quick-shifter and no viable luggage options from the factory (other than leather saddlebags). A KLX-300SM would certainly scratch the hooligan itch for a more modest $6700. I just don't see no fairing being viable for me and long-distance trips so, both of these and the Hypermotard/Monster are probably out too.

This leaves the Ninja 1000SX, SuperSport and, Multistrada 950. How do these two Ducati options compare to each other? Are the engines tuned the same? Do they pull hard from low RPM? How is acceleration? How are their characters the same or different? And to a lesser extent, how about the other two Ducati options?

TIA,
    Sid

#1 Sidney Post, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. Hi Sid,

Have you checked this forum?
    https://www.ducatisupersport939.net/
    Some members here are members there too. I used to be one of them when I still owned my 2018 939 SS.

Overall, this bike is really a « sport tourer ». People coming from more confortable bikes (adventure) will tell you it’s really sports oriented, too much for the wrists, etc. People coming from sports bikes (my case, as I traded my 848 for the 939 SS), will tell you it’s super comfy.

It surely has the looks of a SBK, and the rideability of a fast tourer. It’s a Ducati and has the frame stiffness that comes with it. Allows for super stable fast curves. If you tour with a passenger, make sure you test it together. Pillion comfort is somewhat reduced for long haul touring.

I personally was disappointed by the the lack of engine « character », which is what I am looking for on Ducati’s. To me, it sounds like a Vespa... One day, my wife rode behind me on my 916. On the way back home, she says « The Supersport is not that much more comfortable...». Right. SS was sold within a week, replaced by a 998, and my wife has now taken her licence and rides a 796 Monster of her own. Ha!

G

3. Always had sports bikes and wasn’t enjoying them any more so bought a Supersport.
    Even though it is only 110hp it is plenty quick enough for the roads and you arrive in comfort.
    It is in a different league for comfort compared to any sports bike and handles great.
    It is a typical v twin and sounds excellent with the Termi, if anyone think it sounds like a Vespa you need to get your ears looked at.
    It rides great, is comfortable, plenty quick enough, 150 miles to a tank and looks very much like a sports bike.

I would recommend one.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I was stating a personal opinion. This is how this engine sounds TO ME, Termis or not. I guess I am comparing with my 916 (Termis) or my 998 (Arrows). There’s a world of difference.

By the way, my ears are fine, or so says the flight surgeon every 6 months. But thanks for caring about them anyways. :upyeah:

5. Thanks! Regarding exhaust sounds, I'm not sure YouTube accurately reproduces the sound but, my personal experience around Harley's and other options, I don't get the attraction for really loud pipes on the street. A little back pressure also seems to help low and mid-range torque as opposed to gains at the extreme top end of the RPM range.

The Svartpilien 401 I demoed was a "Coffee Can" brand exhaust and other than being obnoxious and apparently killing the low-end torque for pulling away from a stoplight, was a bad choice IMHO.

Riding impressions can be pretty subjective and biased by prior motorcycle experience so, I appreciate both of your perspectives! I guess I'm one of those "in the middle" riders. I don't want the milk toast experience of something like a Yamaha FJR even though it is a nice motorcycle, and I realize a Gargoyle crouch and peaky power of a more traditional "UJM SuperSport" is really impractical for urban commutes, pleasure rides that are not 'street racing', nor practical for me on longer distance travels.

#5 Sidney Post, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  6. Hi, after having sports bikes I now have a Super Sport, no regrets. Comfy, nimble, light and quick enough for me

7. I have the Hypermotard 950 that I use for weekend, casual riding, kinda like weekend warrior style. Similar to you, I'm particularly picky about the bike's weight and specs which the Hypermotard fits the reqs quite well. I don't think it's a lot of wind but I don't usually ride highway, just twisties roads so it's fine for me.

Multis 950 should be tuned the same but mind you, it's in 500lbs range as most sport touring bikes are.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information