1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'94 900 Supersport: Cleaning, Small Repairs Etc.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by doublehead, Oct 15, 2018.

1. 20190130_165642_HDR.jpg
    Wiring along the frame done, all connectors cleaned and new shrink-wrap where necessary. There is oil visible on the exhaust header, it's from the oil-temperature sensor which I didn't tighten up to spec until then.
    20190130_165658_HDR.jpg
    Shiny copper-nut. Saw new ones for the first time when I bought them, they are a bit oval.
    20190130_165714_HDR.jpg
    Set the angle of the grips to something that might be comfy, will have to test while driving.
    20190130_175438_HDR.jpg
    The position of the fuel filter on the frame was setup by the previous owner. As the fuel lines are relatively new and have no cracks I'll leave it as-is for now.
    The front exhaust has a little leak and, as you can see, the gap between the head and the flange is smaller than the other one.

My idea of this "project" is to make it reliable first and pretty later on, so I only replaced what was necessary and did a proper service, cleaned (up) all the wiring and connectors. It's from 1994 and it can have a bit of wear (until it will be powdercoated, refinished and put into the living room in a few years later on :eyes: ).

It starts right up now after three twists of the throttle and runs very smooth. Oh the magic of clean carbs, 102 octane fuel and new plugs. :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nice write up, love an SS renovation story. I was thinking of going the whole hog with mine but there’s something to be said for the ‘looks as old it is’ here and there. If the paint isn’t flaking off the engine cases there must be something amiss! Each of there own, they are lovely bikes.

3. As I cleaned a bit of the flaking silver paint off, I imagined it must seem like a unicorn spreading glitter on the road, dispersed on the winds of the roaring exhaust while driving along. :motorcycleduc::party:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Did you check for cracks on the tubes around headstock?
    it was fairly common failure on those frames

5. Yes, there are no cracks in the tubes, even the paint looks good, no flaking or anything. I also tried "flexing" by rolling the bike and braking hard with the front brake, there was no suspicious movement visible.

6. 20190210_170501_HDR.jpg
    Wheels are off to get new rubber, will be going back on Wednesday.
    20190210_170510_HDR.jpg
    Looking much better then before.
    20190210_170526_HDR.jpg
    New rubber hoses on carb and tank.
    20190210_170533_HDR.jpg
    Seat looks good, material is still squishy, no cracks.
    20190211_153339.jpg
    The pin on the rear brake is a bit strange: it has a bit of play, about half a millimetre. The shop I bought it from says it's the correct one for my bike.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Looking good :upyeah:

8. There may be no cracks now, but it will happen sooner or later. To prevent it one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-S...h=item23b5cc7e3b:g:VeYAAOSwt5hYZPBm:rk:1:pf:0
    is a must have purchase for future piece of mind

9. You might be correct in part, but the real culprit is the way the fuel tank strap bracket is connected to the frame via two "pins" welded into two "holes" in the frame.

The loads being placed by 17Ltr of fuel sloshing around under braking combined with the forces coming back through the headstock are the main culprits.

My frame has succumbed, but I've not had it welded up, and the brace has fixed the issue.

10. Sorry to say this but to me, that rear brake doesn't look quite right.......and has the pin got a groove for a circlip? It should have, although I didn't just trust that and I drilled a hole for a small R-clip as well.

11. Seems like a good idea, will get one. The fork will get new oil and I will take old rider's suggestion and go with 5er oil.

I thought the same thing, as the pin also has some play in it, it's probably the wrong one. It has a groove with a springy-type thing that keeps it in position, but no groove for a circlip. I will replace this part.
    The previous owner had replaced the original with a "rolled" pin, so had no idea what the original looks like and I probably ordered the wrong one..

Besides those things:
    20190213_200954_HDR.jpg
    Need to tighten the axles and that's it.

Thanks y'all for your help. :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Those anti - rattle springy things don't look anything like my OEM/stock rear brake stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  13. In my experience the crack in the tube near the headstock on my frame when it was about 5 years old was caused by doing fookin great big stoppies which also bent the bottom rear shock bolt! The frame was replaced under warranty and I have treated it with a little more respect for the last 20 years.

14. Yes, the brakes are surprisingly powerful but I still think its the constant flexing of the frame top tubes because the forks don’t soak up the bumps that does the real damage

15. I had my '97 750 for about 8 years - there had been several previous owners. Mileage was about 23K.

I constantly checked the frame for the headstock tubes cracking; but there was never a sign of it - and it had never been repaired and it appeared to be the original frame.

Admittedly with the front suspension set too hard, it would crash down a bit on the nasty side; but I overhauled the Marzocchi forks and used 7.5 SAE oil. Then I fitted the Showa fully adjustable shocks - I think they has SAE10 oil in the end.

Although I like quite hard suspension, as for racing; but just maybe my shocks were in good enough condition to work well.

16. Could you post a picture of your rear brake so I can get an idea of what the original parts look like?
    These are the parts that I bought:
    https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=38

17. Sorry, I sold my 750 about two years ago.......maybe the OEM part was uprated, but it looks odd to me, because your brake pads appear to have been changed as well to accommodate the springy things.

Still, if it works OK, forget I mentioned it.

AL

18. If you can wait till the weekend I can see if I get a decent picture of the rear caliper on my SS

19. The correct part for your rear caliper (which is the same across the 750SS - 900SS/SL carbed models) is:
    612.4.013.1A . That includes the anti-rattle spring thing and the retaining pin (and I assume the pin circlip).

I just checked in my parts manual and the steine-dinse website for confirmation.

It looks to me as though the parts you have may be for an Aprilia (which might have the same brake caliper - I don't know) but they are probably OK (if you can retain the pin to stop it coming out).

A tip with the steine-dinse website, search for the 900SL for 900SS parts (and most 750).

AL

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information