1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'94 900 Supersport: Cleaning, Small Repairs Etc.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by doublehead, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Don't know about using anything like that, I just take the cover off occasionally and clean out any surplus friction plate dust. Others here might advise.

2. I haven't taken a look at the clutch plates, but besides the squeak while driving off in first gear there is no further noise. Will probably need new plates (perhaps the steel ones too) in a while. Cheaper solution would be me getting used to the clutch :D
    Besides that: accelerator cables need an adjustment, bit too much play. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. White lithium grease will cure that squeak

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Grease? Well that escalated quickly. :eyes:
    picdump603_003.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Google lithium grease mod

6. So put Lithium grease on the plates and put them in the oven at 200° for a while, which produces lots of smoke and therefor shouldn't be done with the wife around? I have an oven at work, so that won't be a problem, I'll try to find more info on that mod, it's interesting.
    Having to use less force on the clutch sounds great, too.

7. Worked for me.
    Sounds mad I know but my grabby clutch is buttery smooth now and no slipping :)
    My oem slave is now leaking so am going to fit an Oberon this morning. Looking forward to a lighter clutch than daughter’s cb125...

#67 Old rider, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  8. Grease on a dry clutch plates................Hmmmmmm.

My Guzzi LeMans wouldn't have liked that.

AL

#68 Arquebus, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  9. Not a hint of slip, just smoother :)

10. Well, hell.........I wouldn't have thunk it.

The clutch springs in a Ducati must be amazingly strong - but I can't believe they are stronger than that whacking great clutch in a Guzzi.

#70 Arquebus, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  11. Not really.

I'm using an ultra-low stack-height in the low 30s, which gives a really light lever, due to the reduced pre-load and amazingly, it still doesn't slip. That's with 128.5 rwhp.

Next step is to fit the Oberon slave cylinder I've just had delivered. The lever should be ridiculously light then :)

12. More to do with the dry multiplate clutch in a Ducati that has a drive area that must be close to an order of magnitude larger than a Guzzi single plate clutch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. You could be right, I guess.....but the 80s Guzzis had whacking great really heavy clutches with diaphragm springs - as big as some cars.

14. Having now fitted an Oberon slave, my lever is now even lighter - one finger light; yet no slip despite the reduced stack height and lithium grease.
    No drag either, thanks to the 999’s genius bleed-valve inside the reservoir.

15. While driving I noticed, that when the engine was getting warm the idle was rather high and took a while to drop down to 1200-ish. Had that before on me olde Yamaha and ordered a set of rubbers witch connect the carb to the inlet tubes.
    Comparing the old ones to the new ones showed that the old had gained quite a bit in inner diametre and also in height, both had no visible cracks.
    I really like the fact that I was able to remove the lower bolts of the air filter housing with the fairing still on the bike.
    Haven't driven it since, got a cold. :mask:

16. The new rubbers not only improve the throttle response and the high idle when warm, they also improve the starting procedure.

Having driven the bike now for roughly 150 miles: I like it. A lot. Great engine and great chassis/suspension. No idea yet how much fuel goes through the carbs, as I always top up early: I have no idea if the low-fuel warning light works.

Changing the ignition wires and plugs as well as the spark plugs didn't work as intended. The old wires were the original ones, including the 5k Ohm caps.
    The spark plugs are "regular" ones. This setup is what I'm using at the moment, because the new stuff doesn't work:
    New wires (silicone)
    New plugs (with no resistance)
    New spark plugs (NGK Iridium, equivalents to the "regular" ones)
    This would idle all right but that's it. Also tried the old wire/plugs with the Iridium spark plugs, but the bike wouldn't even start. Perhaps The Iridium plugs don't like the 0 Ohm plugs and broke or the spark plugs were faulty from the beginning.

17. 20190517_151805_HDR.jpg
    Never looked at the clutch plates until now, I think they might need replacing. Perhaps the squeaking will be gone with new plates as well. :kissing:

18. First tour with the Supersport, it was great.
    Went to Austria with friends and we went to the Großglockner, an alpine road which has it's highest point around 2400 metres above sea lever and lots of hair-pin turns. The height leads to some problems when accelerating hard, but it's manageable and great fun. Last 100 kilometres home I had heavy rain, Ducati didn't care.
    20190608_121510_HDR.jpg

20190609_110225_HDR.jpg

20190609_114224_HDR.jpg

20190609_142128_HDR.jpg

Fuel consumption on the Autobahn was 4.5 litres.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Great pics

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Someone on here gave me the advice to change a few probably worn parts on the FCR and BOY THAT WAS SOME GOOD ADVICE.
    Parts came in today and after size / fitment comparison I took a look at the wear on the old parts.
    The needles have tiny marks from rattling inside the needle jets.
    jet_needles.JPG
    The bore on the needle jets is pitted and probably wider then it should be.
    (At least they aren't oval like in my old FZR)
    needle_jet.JPG

Also ordered the main and an air jet.
    Should be running a bit less rich now. :kissing:
    So I'll be busy on the weekend with a bit of cleaning and putting the puzzle back together.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information