1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 959 Engine Failure

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Towser, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Glad to hear Ducati are showing good customer service and common sense, it is probably easier to swap the engine anyway than strip and rebuild if the parts were available separately.

2. As I said I hope it’s a one off. It hadn’t done a big track mileage and I’m only mid inters at best.

3. Regular maintenance and most are fine. Unlikely your track use is the same as those guys getting a refresh or whatever a coupe of times a year (no offence meant) :) For starters I bet they over Rev all the time

4. Yeah my times are still way off a racers and i’m still not thrashing the bike the way they would so i’m hoping regular oil changes with good oil will keep things in check.

That being said the more time I put in the faster I get - and all of my time on the bike is track time so it does give me food for thought.

1000 miles at inters pace is once thing - 2000 miles at fast group pace as things progress next year - that starts to up the risk.

Maybe I should be thinking of moving it on end of next year anyway and getting a nice V4! :p

Christ the thought of stripping it all down and putting it back to stock exhausts me though!

5. It does sound like an anomaly - such low mileage and age - has to be component failure or a manufacturing fault.

Shame you don’t get reimbursed for the lost time this season!

• Like Like x 1
  6. haha in the throws of it now .....

IMG_9729.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. So further update! Spoke to Ducati Glasgow today and they fitted the new engine last week. However it wouldn't fire! They then spent 11 hrs of labour dismantling things to try and work out why. The conclusion they have come up with is Ducati fitted the wrong crank!!!! Something about the woodruff key location being wrong. So they are back in discussion with Ducati UK about either another new engine or a new crank. But given the labour hours involved in stripping an engine to change a crank it might be easier and quicker to get a new engine. It would be even easier and quicker to offer me a new V2 for little money!

• Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Best of luck mate, sounds like you need it after all that!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. What a mare. Fingers crossed you get it all sorted. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information