1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 959 Questions

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Tally, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Hi, 4 weeks into 959 ownership, first Ducati for me. Absolutely in love, best bike I’ve ever owned. Love the V twin, feel, sound and looks. £10k with 1600 miles on it and has the twin akra cans on. Kais have set up the suspension for me which has made it much more plush on the road and went straight to the edge of the tyres. Had ventureshield fitted by invisible lines in Golborne. Russ is superb and £300 well spent. Helmet done for free at same time. Thanks for the tip about turning the EB down and smoothing out the throttle response. Likewise setting the brake lever out has improved immediacy and feel from the brakes. Bought the Phillips white lights too. I’m looking to get an ohlins shock when I have the pennies. Bits of movement and little slides on the tyres so not mad on the OE corsas. Michelin power rs going on soon. First track day booked for June at Oulton.
    Just a few questions if anyone can help:
    1. Would a decat and link pipe make it louder? Considerably, a little or no difference?
    2. How does a reflash/dyno work affect the eb/tc/RM? Can you still adjust everything as default but the fuelling is improved across every choice/mode? Never done this on a bike before.
    3. Is the underbelly exhaust a lot louder than the twin akras?
    4. Brake pad recommendations.

Many thanks and hope i haven’t replicated any old threads. I’ve searched through but couldn’t find the specific answers to the questions I had.

2. I can’t answer many of your questions as I’m just finishing running in my 959 Corse but what I can say is that the underbelly Akras are very loud!

3. Decat and link pipe will make it much louder.

4. 1299 underbelly cans aren't much louder than standard but do sound better than the standard 959 exhaust. i liked the sound of the akra shotgun pipes though as well to be fair

brake pads i use are SBS 900RS which work well

if you are looking at a remap i would recommend a dimsport rapid bike module. they're really good and adapt to the bike and any changes you make

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Many thanks folks, that most helpful.
    I don't mind the twin akras you just can't beat clean lines with the underbelly.
    I'll have a read up on 1200 conversion.
    Thanks again

6. Come and see me in the Paddock if you are at the BSB and the Ducatis are there, happy to chat brakes and pass on some of my experience from a track point of view. Been using EBC GPFAX pads for a while now and just fitted some EBC discs at Silverstone. Few little idiosyncrasies, one you have mentioned with the lever, but more than adequate to race on so shouldn't see them being anything less on the road.

You'll hear the underbellies if you come along so you can be the judge of the volume. I have never really heard the shotgun type pipes so difficult to say whether one type is louder than the other. The akra map that comes with the underbelly cans seems to do the job and doesn't interfere with the electronics. Not sure how deep you are planning to go on the tuning front but for the road I'd say it's not worth it. A capable bike straight out the crate with a set of Akra underbelly pipes and the upmap. That said I will never commute or go for a Sunday ride on a 959 so a different map to suit a specific usage might be of benefit.

7. The little lady has the 959 Corse, not decated it but fitted the AR can
    Sounds a lot better imo - I think with a decat would wake the dead :blush:

8. Will be at oulton Park so will
    Defo call down many thanks. Look forward to catching up again :blush:
    Was hoping to save a bit of weight with the defat but commute early in the morning and don’t want to annoy all the neighbours. It’s loud enough as it is.
    It’s lumpy fuelling in first and second when I’m filtering but guess it just nature of the beast with a big oversquare motor.

9. You probably won't be able to do another Oulton trackday if you decat it.

10. Has anyone got decat pipe for sale

11. Cheers Duke, duly noted :p

12. Just got back from having ecu flashed by BSD. £420 very very well spent. Such an improvement. Can run full power Race mode now without that sensitive, binary initial pick up and no more hunting on a steady throttle. Much smoother transition between on and off the throttle.
    It was running incredibly lean as expected.
    136bhp max power according to the dyno.

13. Bit of foam in place of those throttle spacers has eliminated the freeplay in the throttle. So much smoother on that initial pick up.

14. Really starting to gel with the bike now. The fuelling being resolved has made a huge difference. Think I might get a bigger screen but it’s a nose cone off job isn’t it. I’m mechanically inept so puts me off a touch as I’m sure I will break a fairing or something haha.
    I’ve ordered a comfort seat as on 200+ mile rides it’s pretty bad on my bony backside. Hopefully the comfort seat will be better. I’ll update once I’ve done some long rides on it.

15. I had an AR can on mine. ‘Twas very loud!

16. Does the the 1200 cans conversion make it louder?

17. Yes it does make it quite a bit louder and you can finally hear the burbles on decel

18. I have the underbelly Akras on my 959 Corse (with cats and baffles in place), and there are definitely burbles, pops, and bangs :heart_eyes:

19. Haha that corse is beautiful. Bet it looks incredible with the underbelly cans

Do Not Sell My Personal Information