1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

959 959 With Akrapovic Under Belly Slip On - Noise Level?

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by torepuma, Oct 12, 2016.

1. I am considering buying a 959 and replacing the standard exhaust with the Akrapovic under belly slip on and new panels. This is quite expensive and a big factor would be the possibility to get the bike in on trackdays with the Akra under belly. The bike is supposed to be 98 db with stock exhaust. Has anyone done the exhaust replacement and made a noise measurement? I am aware that the 899 was difficult to get on track with aftermarket exhaust, but the 899 is quite a bit louder with 108 db stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. My friend has it, all I can say is it's appreciably louder than my 899 with termi's even at idle, and without the baffles the Akro's are REALLY loud. I would say it's just not going to happen for trackdays, I measured 103db with baffles as it is...

I would say your best bet is a sc projects can with baffle and keep the original collector box

3. 959 with the US standard underbelly on mine tested at 103dB. I can only assume Akras will be louder which will exclude you from a majority of trackdays. If you really want to do trackdays, replacing with standard US or 1299 underbelly is your only obvious (safe) solution, because it allows you to bypass static test at most tracks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. This is bad news for me as I really like the look and sound that I see on YouTube. I assumed that it would not be as loud as the 899 with Termi with baffles in.

I see that Termi now has an under belly slip on for the 959 as well. This may be a solution for me if the noise level is not too high.

Getting hold of the OEM exhaust for the US version or the 1299 seems like a big hassle for me.

5. The US 959 is essentially a "slip on", and that is already 103+dB. The Akra slip on will definitely be louder than that, so it will exclude you from most trackdays if they are not a 105/108 noisy day, and even the 105 is probably risky. If you are talking about the Termi carbon front exit slip on, that is race only and doesn't even come with baffles, so I would expect 108dB+

Seeing the US959 on eBay, buying it, and waiting for it to arrive really wasn't a big hassle.....

6. Or just do foreign trackdays. No testing

7. have you seen the value of the pound lately? ;p

8. Or buy a second hand 1299..... ;)

9. The worst part is that I am based in Norway and the limit is 100 db. The only option may be to keep the stock exhaust or get the twin Akras. This option is not something that is very tempting[emoji4]

I have considered the 1299 and I belive it is just too powerful for my use.

10. In that case, I'd get an aftermarket side pipe (Austin Racing or similar), because it takes less than 5mins to swap. So have a less offensive looking/better sounding one most of the time, and switch to standard for trackdays.

11. Thanks Jolley. That is a good suggestion. I would really like to get the under belly exhaust, but the twin Akra, Austin or SC slip on may be te solution.

Is it time consuming to switch from one of the above mentioned options to the OEM twin exhaust?

12. Lower side panels off, exhaust clamp, 4 bolts holding the belly section. Then you have the additional nonsense of the side pipes to put on and off, including the bracket/pillion pegs. I think you could get it down to about 1-2 hours, but it is one of those faffy jobs that you just couldn't be bothered with just for a trackday... especially when you'll have to swap back again straight after.

Whereas just changing the side pipe is really just a 5min job. Also, if you went by trailer/van you could try getting it through, knowing you could change in 5mins if you fail....

13. Thanks. I can definitely manage 5 minutes. I will investigate a bit further before I make the decision. It is a good six months before riding season begins again i Norway.

14. I heard the akrapovic slip on and its way louder than stock. I mean night and day different.

Standard my bike measured 98db, the akrapovic would
    Be nearer 108 I bet. You could feel your organs moving around from it.

I was going to bite the bullet and buy it with the upmap but the trackday situation changed my mind.

The side akrapovic is very nice in the flesh and sounds better than standard but isn't particularly louder. I wasn't sure on the looks of it in photos. If it's actually really nice in the flesh. Saved about 3.5kg with pillion pegs removed as well.

I was lucky to get a really good deal on mine other wise wouldn't have bought one as I wasn't keen at first but now really glad I did and love how the bike looks - no exhaust to spoil the left side, no melted chain lube all over the place, a decent looking pipe now on the right side.

I prefer it to th SC and AR ones now, which I think look too aftermarket/afterthought.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Thanks for the input. From your response I think it is safe to say that the under belly Akra will be impossible to get on track. On EBay I noticed a seller claimed 103 db for the Termi under belly slip on. I am guessing that it will be louder. If I go for this solution I will need to use a couple of hours to change back to stock exhaust for track days. This is very inconvenient, but may be possible if the track time is limited.

I am currently investigating the possibility of getting a OEM 1299 exhaust as this will give me the looks and may get me on the track.

I have seen the Akra rear slip on and agree that it looks very much better that OEM. I have not seen it mounted on a bike though. This seems like the safest and most convenient solution, but I do love the look of the under belly exhaust.

16. Like I said at first I didn't like it from the photos online but in the metal it looks good. The way it turns blue looks really nice.

I've not had anyone say negative things about my bike - people usually comment on how much better the side exhaust actually looks against their preconceptions.

I got mine for £400 including the hanger so was prepared to try it at that price (rrp is £1300+) but I'm really pleased with it

17. That is a very nice deal. I have been offered one for £1200 with the same rrp. With your deal I would also be very tempted to try it. I may have to do a bit of bargaining.

18. There were as one on eBay not long ago for £700 i think and I also think some dealers would probably heavily discount one too

19. It keeps reappearing because nobody wants to pay £700 when they were giving them with bikes for a £500 upgrade.....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information