1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 backfire

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by PeteW, Jul 3, 2013.

1. My 2000 996, which I've owned since March, is fitted with 50mm termis and chip, and has a tendency to backfire just as I pull up to a stop. If I pull the clutch in slightly sooner than 'normal' it seems to prevent it, so I suppose the high gearing isn't helping, but I'm wondering if this sounds normal, or whether it's something I should get checked out? Bike otherwise runs fine. My old Supersport with 50mm Sil Motors and stage-2 kit never back-fires at all, but I guess I'm comparing apples and kumquats there...

2. My 998 with open Termis pops and bangs on the overrun, particularly when hot, but not just as I come to a standstill. Does sound as though yours is over fuelling or the butterflies aren't closing smoothly perhaps. Would be worth getting the setup and the tps checked.

3. My 998 used to do exactly the same thing but that was on standard pipes, it was due to the mixture being too lean I was told at the time. The problem cleared when I fitted Termi's and had it set up correctly on a Dyno.

4. My old 748R did this.... Too lean fuel mixture....I turned the ecu pot down a tad and all was well...:upyeah:

5. Sounds like it's running lean.

I would get the TPS, throttle balance and CO settings checked.

6. Right, I'll get it looked at. Or at least check for air leaks etc first. Thanks for the comments fellas.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information