1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Biposto vs 996S

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Andy Mack, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Hello,

looking at buying my first Duke and looking, ideally for a 996S. There doesnt seem to be a lot of them about compared to the Biposto. I know the S has the SPS engine. How much of a difference does this make to the bike? Do you notice the extra 10 horses? Is it worth holding out to find an S over a biposto?

Thanks for the help.

Andy

2. The S hasn't got the sps engine.

3. From wiki "From 1999, there were three different models of the 996: a base, or Biposto; the 996S with Öhlins suspension and the engine of the 996SPS (Europe only)"

4. you will probably get a spectrum of answers Andy - but to answer your last question I would say no. There are other benefits besides the engine though and a few more are bound to pop up when (if?) the weather picks up.

5. Believe me the s hasn't got the sps engine.

You forgot to mention th 996R, which has a Testastretta engine

6. Yes but it's not in the same price bracket as a biposto or s.

if it doesn't have an eps engine then what difference is there over it and the biposto? The bi got ogling shocks too.

7. The bips didn't have Ohlins shock, they had Showa's

8. They do. They got ogling shocks in 2000/2001.

9. I love the idea of "ogling" shocks :upyeah:

10. The S ran the T1 cams from the SPS and some got treated to Ti rods, but not all. It didn't have the SPS engine cases or P8 ECU fuelled injection system so fires both injectors together rather than sequentially. 50mm exhaust system is same as SPS.
    They're a nice bike. Can be a bit fiddly to get set up well, but not far off SPS performance. Pretty rare though and fetch strong money for a proper one.

11. Thanks Nelly that's helpful. What difference do the engine cases make other than look?

whats the difference to ride an S vs a Biposto?

haha ohlins got auto corrected.

12. I personally prefer the S & R models...... Don't rush into it I almost gave up on an R and was ready to pull the trigger on an S when out of no where a beautiful showroom R appeared.

its all about playing the waiting game and you will be rewarded.

Good luck in your search

13. I believe so Steve. Defo the flywheel etc. as the SPS ran the P8 with twin pickups. The S was on the 16M so ran a single crank sensor.

14. Get the SPS and covert it............

15. The SPS used sand cast engine cases. They are stronger and were part of the homoglation package. They are expensive tho so only went on the SPS. They're easy to spot....rough cast appearance and unpainted. The S and BP used conventional pressure cast...smoother looking and painted.

16. Are you sure Nelly?. My cases are painted. Cylinder heads are different to BP, with no 4V DOHC cast into them.

17. Pretty sure. The ones I've seen have been bare..... I've seen heads without the cast writing to, but not aware they are model specific, maybe from a different mould..or supplier????? I don't know. Two regulars I look after, 97 SPS and a Foggy are both bare cast..mate of mine had a 2000 SPS that was bare cast to.
    tbh, at that time anything was possible not all the S's got Ti rods, could well be the SPS got painted cases, possibly last of the breed?? What year is yours? As and when I get a bit of time, I'll have a look thru the parts lists and see if they changed at all.

18. Wiki is often full of sh1te, based on the knowledge of the author, pinch of salt and all that!

19. Wouldn't it be better to just go for the 'stretta driven 998? Or am I being to simple (I'll clear my inbox for answers on the last question).

gets the 916/996 look, but with the better motor and not having to go fugly with the 999.

20. My 996 SPS has painted cases, I know cos it's all flaking off

Do Not Sell My Personal Information