1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996. From Ratty And Tatty To Pretty Natty

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Expat Jack, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Make that 2 !! :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Whilst waiting for the next photo session, I've estimated the bike was about a 2,15 minute drive each way from Expat and yes I'm home and bored and just watch Midsomer Murders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ;)
    311751_10150312799217657_708907656_8146294_735702566_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. OK, had brekkie, on with the story.

They wheeled the bike into their workshop to fit the trade plates while I had a mooch around their other stock. Ratty old shitters in the main, but all pretty honest.

I heard the unmistakable sound of the Duke outside (they fired it up in the workshop) so out I go. Jump on and off we go. Take it steady, its an old bike with brand new tyres and pads.

It ran like an absolute dog. Banging and popping on the throttle, surging. Truly horrible. I was in a 30 zone so had to just hang on as it bucked about. Got to a set of lights on a busy junction and it stalled. Thumbed the started and it did fire up - but my god wasn't it slow to turn over. Onto a dual carriageway. Hit 3000 rpm and it cleared its throat and, holy shit, it pulls. Hard. All up to 9000.

I had pulled the Eprom cover in the shop (no sticker) and was already suspicious that it was wrong for the SIL Moto half system. I put the backfiring down to this.

I rode about 15 miles and it was good through the gears. It was about 2 degrees and new tyres so very gently round the bends. The brakes were crap. The rear was actually better than the front.

Back to the dealers and, after letting it tick over until the fan cut in it was mine (I had convinced myself that the missfire was the Eprom).

@chizel - hope you like the bar ends - I am saving them for you mate ;)

InkedIMG_2859_LI.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. They like clip ties in that shop (number plate) are you changing the rear lights,
    I do like the coated forks :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. looks like a great project bike that does! keep the installments coming!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Forgot to say there was a bit of a clunk from the forks on the test ride.

8. Can you please remove that tacky rear light unit,PDQ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Want to buy it? If not I’m going to give it to Chizel

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. That's just reminded me, I put 2 of those Italian rear reflectors in my eBay basket a couple of days ago after using my last one on the Tuono, and never checked out. :thinkingface: Better do it now. :upyeah:

11. It would look good on top of my impending bonfire.:laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roast beef and all the trimmings tonight chaps. Cake for pudding (kids made it).

On the way home I was passing Winchester, so dropped into Moto Rapido for a chat and to pre warn Carl and Luke I would be needing some bits. Also, I knew the bike had been in there so was after a copy of the invoice (only a stamp in the book).

The guys confirmed they knew the bike from old and that it had had a very expensive job done back in 2008, including new cams, which were customer supplier and MR fitted. Big bill which they gave me a copy of, redacting the name and address of the owner (GDPR!).

They let me take a photo of the system confirming the bike was a 1999 buil;d on a 2000 plate:

InkedIMG_2863_LI.jpg

Whilst waiting the few days for delivery I also spoke to Neil at Sigma Performance. He was really helpful and by now I had managed to identify 4 previous owners from various invoices. He confirmed the bike had had the Full Monty Grunter tune and was therefore quite a find. Another copy invoice for the file was kindly provided. Apparently they did not do many. No wonder it had a stonking mid range. The fact that its a Grunter made me love this bike a bit more. Its a BIP and not special, but, maybe it is?

Bike then arrived at home bang on time from the supplying dealer. Signed for it, put it in the garage. Key in. Thumb starter. Nothing.

Solenoid click. Fuel flowing. Dead battery? Tried the next day. Nothing.

Attached a lithium starter pack and it turned over, r e a l s l o w. I engaged gear and rocked it a bit, hit the starter. Then it fired up. Lumpy as hell and a lot of worrying noises, banging and crashing. I did not rev it past 2000 rpm.

Turned my back for a minute an then thought, its got light in here. The bike was on FIRE. Only a very minor one, something sat on the connector pipe had caught and lit. Turned it off. Took off the cambelt cover and saw this:

IMG_2903.jpg

So, spoke to Geoff at Baines who I had pre warned prior to purchase that I would probably have a job for him.

More to come, but to keep you going, here's a before pic of the rather nice rear hub bolts:

IMG_2913.jpg

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. Jeez a FIRE.

That’s why I have a fire extinguisher in the garage, wouldn’t ever anticipate having to use it though.

Bet that got the heart pumping :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I shat myself TBH. Luckily no damage done. But if I had started it outside and popped in for a cuppa then it would have been toast.

15. The bike looks really nice in the pictures.

Great work finding some more provenance on the bike, always nice to have.

Hopefully this isn’t the start of a money pit

Good luck and interested on how it turns out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lucky escape there. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Phew!
    I wonder how long that tensioner’s been like that too. Another near miss there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Ducati characteristics.......don't you just love them.o_O

• Like Like x 1
  19. So what’s the plans now then mate? Strip it down and mint it still? Great project!

20. The belt adjustment looks close, don't know how you'll sort that as it looks to be adjusted the correct way.
    Steve

Do Not Sell My Personal Information