1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Resto: Hoping To The Give The Old Girl A New Chance In Life...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Pete433, May 13, 2020.

1. Yup thought so cheers Nick, probably explains why one of the bearings is a little stiff

2. Looks like someone's just popped a fat 'O'-ring in there and hoped for the best! Bloody bodger FFS. Good luck & have fun Pete...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. well this is just the gift that keeps on giving...
    ok so i've stripped the swing arm and pulled out the hub, in the process i nearly chopped my fingers off as the castlated rim was nearly as sharp as cut-throat razor, yup, cush bolt has eaten the bastard away..
    Rear hub.jpg

here's the offending little shit...

Knackered cush.jpg

i'm going to ask a question of which i have a sinking feeling i know the answer to, but, has anyone on here used a rear hub that is so sheared away (i cant check if i can get the chain adjusting tool in there without putting it back together, and depending on feedback might be a waste of time excercise) or do i need to bite the bullet and buy a replacement?

if it's the latter, anyone got a spare??

4. There was someone selling replacement castellated rings, that you could screw to knackered hubs.

5. haha i just googled it....

Annotation 2020-06-01 164356.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. thanks i'll give it a try, £70 is far better than replacement!

7. got him off the thread you sent and popped him a PM, thanks again FE

8. He is over your way

9. quick update....

all nuts and bolts back from zinc plating so already thinking this bike should hopefully scrub up well, plating makes a huge difference. Rebuilt the swingarm, managed to get hold of a used rear hub which was in pretty good nick and had a good 10mm of castellation left on it, the previous one was eaten down to 1mm in places and this used one was at a decent price so got slotted in. New rear sprocket and some elbow grease on the rest of it seemed to bring it up pretty good (note @Expat Jack , great idea with the torque seal, can really see where has been done)

Cush holder.JPEG

Swingarm above.JPEG

had the frame back from painting from Del at DW Automotive, did a great job. also had the suspension back from MH Suspension, again great job. that meant i was ready to start on a rolling chasis. started with putting the rear together, used a spare set of wheels to hold it up for now until i get another repainted set back from DW.
    Replaced the steering bearings seeing as everything was out; it was a bit of a bastard getting the old lower inner race off but i dont think thats new to me, bit of tug-a-war and heat sorted it, outer races were fine but replaced them anyways as bought a set. the shite arond the old ones was shocking, before and after...
    Old Steering head.jpg

nice new grease before dust seal went on...

New Steering head.jpg

so overall pretty pleased so far!

Front and rear sus on.jpg

new against old...

Front end compare.jpg

@El Toro not sure if this belongs in rebuild threads or not so apologies if i've put it in the wrong forum...

• Like Like x 7
  10. Looking good Pete.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Thread moved and title changed to suit

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Hi Pete. That’s going to be a cracker mate. You at Donny on Tuesday?

13. hi mate, no wish i was could pick your brains but work is in the way! still on my list to pick those other bits off you, i'll aim to get them in a couple of weeks if thats ok?

14. Sure. Just pm me. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Update on sorting the donkey…

And before anyone mentions what a shithole my garage is, I already know! We’re having loads of work done on the house so it’s a fecking dumping ground at the moment

Front end now cleaned and mounted, looking much better, the paintwork is spot on, so good I’m treating it like china because I’m scared shitless of damaging it.

before and after...

upload_2020-12-14_10-41-46.png
    The engine was stripped down and unfortunately, as mentioned by @Partycr0c, the flywheel had fecked the water pump. Basically it meant that with that and the overall shit state of the engine, to repair/clean it was uneconomical. A look at some of the oil (spilling nicely in the form of what looks like a Kiwi bird) didn’t really look like oil, just gunge.

upload_2020-12-14_10-42-5.png

On the upside, I did manage to find a new (8k miles) engine for a really good price, very luckily. So that went off without any further ado for the valves and belts to be sorted before doing anything further. 4 valves needed reshimming so saved a few quid by getting it done whilst out of the bike!

upload_2020-12-14_10-42-22.png

Engine work was turned around pretty quick, so it was all systems go. Engine went in lovely.

upload_2020-12-14_10-42-38.png

So it was on to putting some of the ancilliaries together. Coolant tanks went on, as did oil breather, radiator and the spark initiators.

before and after

upload_2020-12-14_10-42-57.png

View attachment 227574

• Like Like x 5
  16. Right hand wiring loom went in before the engine, just to make it a little easier to manage getting the fuse box in. it did need a little rewiring (thanks to a few guys on here for answering my questions) as the previous owner had pulled the plugs off the ignition barrel and replaced it with badly platted wires joined up by insulation tape and a couple of badly crimped bullet connectors; so a nice new connector went on, still to finish off one of the connections when I find the right place for it on the main loom side, seems to not correspond with the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, but I’ll sort that when I can.

upload_2020-12-14_10-44-26.png

upload_2020-12-14_10-44-36.png

upload_2020-12-14_10-44-42.png

Overall, really pleased so far. Next jobs are to get the remaining coolant hoses on, now all nicely cleaned up, then onto oil cooler, oil lines and throttle body. After that I’ll pop the discs on the new wheel (the one in pic is being used to help keep the front end up for now until my front stand arrives) then hang the brakes!

• Like Like x 6
  17. nice work so far Pete. Great rebuild thread

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. New engine. :confused: That’s unlucky mate. But she’s going to be cracking once done. Keep up the great work. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information