1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996 Sps Rebuild

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by cookster, Oct 21, 2017.

1. @Cream_Revenge you know me mate id like to say its a keeper but ive said that about my last 3 bikes i sold. :thinkingface:

but i thought the sps could be a keeper as be a good investment for little Emma one day.

• Like Like x 4
  2. What does Rich say? In my limited experience with him he actually seems quite keen on people NOT spending money. Spoke to him last week about 999 suspension and he said to pretty much leave as is.

3. will rich said you dont have to put the new pistons in but it would really finish the engine and be a safer way to get a bit more power out of it. Think il give him a bell tomorrow as go though it again, he reckons 135bhp is at the wheel, which is good for a standard blue printed engine.

4. Looks like it needs a slipper clutch. Should be an interesting build.

5. Yeah once it's running were look at the bolting on some goodies.

6. Is this not finished yet :rolleyes:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Good work takes time :)Shate work even more as needs to be done twice :astonished:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Leave Creamy out of this - and it 3 times btw

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  9. Think I'm going to go for the new pistons chaps think I'd be kicking myself if I didn't. Always thinking what would it be like if I hadn't changed um.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Do you have to run super-unleaded petrol with high compression pistons?

11. I do, running 11.7:1

12. Harsh

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I run all my bikes on super unleaded.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. How far you going with this? I have an ultra rare ex AMA tapered header Akropovic exhaust came from Team Austin, the exhaust was raced in preference to the Termi's meant to be fitted; never seen another? Ducati ordered it be taken off the bike, beautiful thing? increased the midrange, and apparently top-end?
    Interested in photos?? not massively overbore, suggest will work on a SPS had about 50 race cams (996) which cane from a 996 AMA mechanic, I gave the whole lot away, chris keays, got a bit including green magnesium engine side covers, ?? the only place I have seen these is at Bologna muesum? cases with bolt on deep sumps, literally a medium trucks worth, if you interested I will put you in contact with the ducati entity I gave it all to? corse heads complete many cams hundreds rockers including the Australian Mega Cycle resurfaced ones ? Un-finished (machined) new heads
    look up Justin Klashorst at V-Twin Perth see if hes got anything you need? maybe had 10-15 engine cases. ? I will get a good price for you? if you think, as most do I am spinning s..t, i will dig up the photos, I kept things like boxes of fastners and crankcase shim kits for setting ideal gearbox end-floats etc, but decided couldn't afford to collect the earlier bikes,and concentrated on the testasrettas took the 998 stuff and gave the rest away, the only thing I" kept was the exhaust, many people want it but I realise it needs to go to somebody appreciates it? (doesnt want me to give it to them??) favorite bike is a last model 748R but the exhaust wouldnt work on that?

15. Hi mate how come the exhaust wouldn't work on a 748r??

16. Don't ask questions, get it snapped up :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. My experience is the engines with the highest bmep or capacity seem to work better with the bigger pipe sizes and bmep comes from the characteristics of the airbox, throttle bodies, port shapes, valve sizes, combustion shapes, etc and is a measure of engine efficiency which determines engine output, where hp=plan hp= (p>>bmep)X (l>>lenght of stroke) X (a>>area of piston)X (n>> rpm) exhaust contributes to the output when it reaches its resonant frequencies
    the effectiveness of exhaust resonance, pulling the fresh charge into the exhaust header and then ramming it back into the cylinder at the last instant as the exhaust closes at tdc depends on the gas velocity and tuning (lenght) of the exhaust. The 748 is a smaller capacity engine less exhaust flow (determined by the total amount of air it is burning). the exhaust will lose resonant performance, because of the lower exhaust flow For ideal exhaust efficiency you need smaller headers to maintain exhaust velocity

but you dont need to make an engine bigger (increase length stroke or a; piston area) to get more power you can change the operating rpm or the bmep through changing vales sizes angles, cams intakes, etc which change the bmep

Highly tuned and modified engines, compared to similar sized less tuned engines burn more fuel/air in the correct ratio and produce more exhaust flow, and usually use bigger exhausts A pangalie 1199 burns more air than a 996r (road) about 136> 205 hp run at similar revs 11500rpm? and have higher exhaust flow and bigger headers

Some tuned 998s F and RS were run to 13500rpm and produced 185 hp and note that if you had increased the revs from 12000rpm to 13500rpm using the same con rods / pistons the stress on the reciprocating parts increases as a square of the increase in engine rpm about 26% Yet the revs only increased by 135/120 12.5%
    There is a practical limit to the rpm capacity, so increaseing the rpm is not a viable reliable way to increase hp

so common exhaust for 998 race engines are 58mm or 60mm some 63mm if you put markedly larger exhaust on a road 996R (54mm standard road) you lose the mid-range the engine losses torque but only starts to correct at full load but ridability is ruined
    If you put that exhaust on a 748R I think it wont work but think it would work on a 996sp because its not massively overbore compared to larger pipes fitted

#37 breakout998, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  18. will take photos of them if you interested

19. Same principle as why a 70mm system on a 848 is entirely worthless, and a 1098 with a standard system pipework put out better results unless the motor has had some work.

I remember going to put a 50mm system on my 748 and Steve Hillary telling me it’s a waste: 45/50 gives better results

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Now tapered headers maybe resonant over a broader rev range and may have good peak power and beef the midrange in the smaller sections of the pipe taper will still have the velocity close to the head for midrange but not have the same overall flow resistance as a totally small constant diameter midrange pipe? had a race pipe for the bombed 900SL but lost to much midrange We made something about 35mm long, shaped like a tapered top hat, with the top missing; placed them in the exhausts held by the head , trapped by the flange on the header, with the cone bit in the exhaust, transformed the pipe and returned a lot of midrange by increasing the exhaust velocity right at the exhaust-port by changing the angle and the hole size it is possible to move the torque curve cant have helped the top-end? but left it in? cant have been to bad

Do Not Sell My Personal Information