1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 996r Numbers

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by cookster, Oct 8, 2019.

1. hi guys ive got a 996r in for an mot today and there is no number on the top yoke!! thought they were all numbered??

they chap is on about selling it too :thinkingface::thinkingface:

• Like Like x 2
  2. With no number it's worth bugger all - I can send you my address for scrappage?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. yes yes very good, unfortunate for you my scrap bin is in my work shop so my wotsit offer will be going in shortly. :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Wiki info;
    In 2001 Ducati introduced the limited production (only 500 were built), 996 R, the suffix standing for ‘Racing’, which featured Öhlins suspension (rear and front), carbon fiber bodywork, a revised and more streamlined fairing, but most importantly the newly redesigned engine, the Testastretta (narrow-head) which actually displaced 998cc. The engine got its name from the narrower angle between the intake and exhaust valves, down to only 25 degrees, which was designed by Ing. Marchetti, coming from Ferrari F1. It featured more aggressive camshafts, titanium conrods and a shorter stroke and wider bore, which allowed it to rev more safely at high RPMs. It produced 98.5 kW (136 bhp) at 10,200 RPM with a maximum torque of 105 Nm at 8000 RPM. Most of the chassis was the same as the 996 SPS, but using a new Brembo braking system, with thinner discs and 4-pad, 4-pot calipers with 34mm pistons.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. yeah that's all correct but did they all have number on the yoke??

6. I would have thought so but trophy hunters seemed to like them - and 'Ducati' factor, there was somebody who got a yoke plate remade for their SPS, so if the build number can be verified from Ducati factory it can be replaced - hopefully just an email to Ducati with VIN and engine number will be enough?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. No, 200 out of the 500 were for racing use, they had no numbered plaques. Not all of them went onto get converted for racing.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Yep, this.
    The ones without the numbers were intended for the race teams.
    61AA778F-F231-4E70-B46F-7C05BAF3134F.jpeg

5AD4CA06-0308-4116-A235-CBC6B9480BDE.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. I didn't think they were a numbered bike. :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Price/mileage:thinkingface:

11. 6k miles not sure on price yet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 25k..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I'm getting very excited for you.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. There are three listed on ebay at the minute for £28/25/24k.:upyeah:but not selling just standing still:confused:

15. It's a random selection process on the assembly line with the numbers/ distribution.

16. Yip, so if a UK bike with that mileage this would be the best value of the lot - hence the £25K estimate I guess :thinkingface: there's 4 for sale on Ebay btw :eyes:

17. 20191008_120750.jpg

Front brakes not standard and engine been tuned.

18. Forks wrong too...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information