1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996sps Or 1198???

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by cookster, Jul 13, 2017.

1. hi guys as you all know me and mrs cookster have bambino on the way in about 4 weeks and im seriously thinking about my bike collection, i really dont know whether to sell a bike, just keep um in storage or what to do?? money isn't tight at the moment but it would come in handy and obviously cant keep throwing money at the bikes, head is saying keep the sps and sell 1198 and r1, heart saying keep um all as i do love all my bikes,what to do what to do ?? , ive got these 5 bikes......

996sps project bike totally standard but need work and will hopefully go up in value

1198 base model , nice bike in white but not a special or collectable, i use this most but is expensive to run but its great, need tyres,service and general maintance.

1999 r1 red and white, again very trick and clean love this bike(longest owned vehicle)

2002 gsxr k2 1000 road legal track bike, for some reason i love this bike too,great fun on track, cheap to repair, fast and handles great. doesnt owe me much so is it worth selling??

ex james toseland honda hrc race bike, not for sale so not sure why its on the list.

All opinions welcome.

2. buy one more

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. it did cross my mind mate .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Some pics of your collection would be appreciated :upyeah:

At the end of the day you will know deep down what the right thing to do is, not a bunch of guys on a forum. But if it was me it would come down to which one/s I use the least.
    It sounds like you have a soft spot for them all which won't make it easy. Out of those I would probably look between the 1198 or R1, pretty similar in what you probably use them for so surely you could drop one?

If not just keep them all till you really need the money.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. When the bambino comes along you might not get out much on them so I'd sell the jap bikes , definitely keep the sps for weekends and keep the 1198 as a run around

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Keep the SPS deffo - sell something if you have to, that way you don't need to make a decision :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Keep the SPS and the R1

• Like Like x 1
  8. Keep them all. Children don't cost much. There's loads of virtually new baby kit for sale, no need to shell out on new, total waste of money.
    They don't care if their room is painted either....so forget deciding on the colour of the "nursery"...waste of time and effort...you could be out on one of your bikes!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. I wish I still owned every bike I've sold.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Don't be a fool! You need to have something nice for your kids to inherit later in life ;)

In all seriousness though... If it was me facing the decision you are, the R1 or GSXR would be in for the chop long before either of the two duc's. SPS will keep you entertained tinkering and slowly chipping away at the project within it. The 1198 is a very special bike you would look back on fondly and think I wish I'd not... I think both the SPS and 1198 will be a safe place for your money to be for a few years too ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Agree with this :upyeah:

R1 for trackdays and blasts out, SPS for ducat days and nice Sundays

12. Agree with this :upyeah:

R1 for trackdays and blasts out, SPS for ducat days and nice Sundays

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. 20170314_170034.jpg 20170504_203714.jpg 20170403_171955.jpg 20170128_122406.jpg
    @Tmac88 some pics for you matey see why its a hard decision??

14. @Ben Mallinson cheers ben yeah honda is staying would never get another one of them!! its funny because the gsxr is no where near as good as the rest of the fleet but for some reason i just love ragging the tits of it round a track as i dont care about crashing it,(though deep down i do really care) shame i havent got a pic of the sps but its all in bits at the moment. If i sold the gsxr think id only end up buying another bike for track work as the others are to good really to keep tracking. Or i sell um all and buy a 1299R ???

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'd be thinking of which ones would be hardest to buy back in a few years time??? Keep the sps, r1 and Toseland :upyeah: good luck with the bambino dude
    !

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. @frazzle think I'm going to take um off the road for a while mate rather than sell um unless the time comes when I HAVE to sell um and see how we go. Ref the 1198 is it best to take all the fuel out of the tank seeing it's plastic??

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I've always been told best to store empty

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. The ethanol content of the fuel will cause you tank to swell over time. Both my 1098R tanks have suffered to the extent that I have had to space the steering damper bracket off the frame to stop it rubbing. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Sell? What are you thinking? Buy another bike to get you out of the house and away from the crying. Simples.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information