1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996sps Or 1198???

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by cookster, Jul 13, 2017.

1. I've not taken a bike off the road but agree with the above, drain it dude

2. cheers chaps. hopefully it wont be for long :motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 1
  3. I thought the perceived wisdom was to keep a metal tank full and drain a plastic one. I'd be grateful for some guidance as I have 2 bikes with metal tanks and 2 with plastic.

I always drain the Streetfighter tank after using the bike after having 2 replaced due to swelling in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Skip to 30 seconds for petrol removal top tip:

• Like Like x 1
  5. I've been using Ichiban as my bible for years @Cream_Revenge I've been buring my fuel off ever since I discovered his sites. It does take a while if you have a full tank though. :confused:

6. That's what I've also always been told. Stops rust

7. Does it char the ceiling?

8. I do it outside on the drive, silly. I'm not stoopid. o_O

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Ah, see i was worried as I have a wooden garage. Thanks, top tip!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Drop me a line if you decide to sell the 996SPS, I'm keen to find one!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sell the R1 and the 1198 is my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Sell the lot except for the quickest, then use that one to make a quick getaway while you still can mate! :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. ah @Nelson always here to help. :p

14. My eldest has just finished A levels, hopefully off to Uni in September, and youngest is about to turn 14 - I would beg to differ on the above point @RickyX

the age old ethanol discussion. I recall reading on a forum somewhere on t'interweb an interesting thread from somebody who tracks the ethanol content at his local filling stations. he gets say 100ml of fuel in a vessel, adds 10ml of water, shakes and leaves overnight. if the water sitting below the fuel has changed in volume then that is down to the hygroscopic properties of the ethanol (can't recall if it went up or down, I'm sure somebody will correct me, though). he generally found that getting premium fuels from Esso and BP (can't recall, but possibly Shell, too) that no discernable change happened. but he did say that as he had worked in the industry he knew that what was in the tanks from one tanker load to the next will change, and at any point the fuel company may add ethanol to their premium product, so he checked every month or two.

all that said, if you are storing a plastic tank, then experience of those who have them would lead you to believe you should err on the side of caution and drain before storage.

Pete

15. If money isn't tight at the moment then send some to me. Keep sending it until money is tight and you really need to sell a bike or two.

Problem solved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. @efcbluepete I agree that when they get older, they DO cost money....I have just put two through Uni myself..courtesy of Bank of Dad!
    What I meant was that when they are little, they are cheap(er).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Have you seen child care costs???

• Like Like x 1
  18. It's strange cos I know the sps is worth more than the rest of the bikes but I just haven't clicked with it yet.

19. I love my 996 lots more when I leave the cover off. I find I forgot about them when tucked away.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information