1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998s Help Needed

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by PP1098, Feb 11, 2020.

1. perhaps the report should of said "short-circuit to the headlamp or frame"

2. What do you mean Andy?

3. Applying systematic fault finding to your original post

1 you fitted some different bulbs, ie worked around the headlamp/gauges/rev counter/front loom area

2 the bike has now started to cough and fart and "misfiring at random with the needles dancing around every time I switched on the lights. There is also a light instant flicker of light on the dash as soon as I switch on lights"

id say the two are connected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think its an earth fault between the front loom and the frame/battery - which is causing an unwanted backfeed down a sensor line such as the air temp/pressure sensor which coincidentally sits just below the headlight. Before you start swapping components and chasing a dream you need to get the earth continuity checked between either of the main headstock connectors (6 way pin 6 and 10 way pin J) and ecu earth connections to the battery negative, it takes five minutes if you know which pins to test from. If it fails or has resistance the usual culprit is water in the round 22 way connector and specifically pin T has burnt out as it takes quite a bit of current. BTW you state 7.5A fuse for lights was getting hot, the lights fuse is a 15A one and the 7.5A ones (3 of them) are key sensor, stop/horn and cooling fan according to my owners manual. If it is indeed a 7.5A fuse in the lights fuse position it will be passing over 6A so will probably be getting warm - you need to check the other fuse positions to ensure each one has the correct fuse in it. Lets hope it is not the ECU as you may have fried two of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Nice root cause analysis......

please listen to andyB!

6. wheres my lightening up emoji...:rolleyes::innocent:

7. This is what is wrong with it. My 998 had exactly those symptoms, after hours of fannying around changing everything, it was simply a poor connection in the multi-plug!

8. Dear all,

Thanks for your time on this.
    I read each and every comment carefully and u r right its a connection, earth ground somewhere at the front or at the nattery/rectifier area or even under tank. I wont mess around with ecus etcetc it wont get me anywhere. Or wiring checks. I hope we ll sort it out soon

Will keep all posted if nothing else for knowledge base
    Keep well
    Ph.

9. Did you get this sorted?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information