1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998s Japan Import

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by andy j, Sep 26, 2019.

1. I'm currently looking at a 998s that has been imported from Japan. Is there any differences between a UK 998s and a 998s Japanese model? Are they worth the same as a UK model?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Speedo, not sure if they have power reduction too? The early days of imports did

• Like Like x 1
  3. I did wonder about a speed limiter. My brother bought a car that was an import and it was speed limited.

4. I had a few 400’s that needed to be freed from a limiter (113mph??)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Do you have to convert import vehicles to MPH or can you keep them KPH?

6. Sticker over the top, but IMHO if you can find a MPH speedo do that, its just easier to see!

7. I wonder if you changed the clocks to a set of MPH it would raise the speed limit or get rid of it all together!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Is it yellow....?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. is it a streetfighter??

10. It's not the streetfight that's been on eBay for a while! It's red one that's just been imported.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Make sure it’s the deep sump model and you should be good to go!

• Like Like x 1
  12. If it’s that one in Preston, must be worth a visit. Could even be a genuine mono!

13. It's the one from preston. Looking at the rear seat it has no writing on the number board. So might be an aftermarket mono. Heading to have a look at it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Do that. I just said that cause it looks like it might have a mono subframe on. Typical mod but you never know. ;)

Excellent bikes! Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  15. It looks like it might be a genuine subframe! Will have a good look over it anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Speedo is mechanical so no.

If it is limited then an ECU/chip would solve the problem.

17. So after doing some digging bikes 401cc and about in japan require a special licence to ride them. So they apparently don't have a speed limiter on them. I will ask when I have a look.

• Like Like x 1
  18. The frame number should confirm what for market it was built. Hopefully not California or Switzerland!

19. I asked the seller and they have had the vin checked by Ducati and it is a Japanese model.

20. Well I now own the bike. The bike exactly what I was looking for. I bought it at Fastline Superbikes in Preston. Delt with Gary Mitchell who was a top bloke very easy to deal with. Just waiting on it getting registered in the UK.

• Like Like x 7
Do Not Sell My Personal Information