1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998s Japan Import

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by andy j, Sep 26, 2019.

1. I strongly recommend fitting piper cross filter in the air tubes, you will lose power with the big foam jobbies over the trumpets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. @andy j, saw this yesterday. Just in case...;)

FA7CBD95-4A02-458B-B5E4-B4E632888577.png D0EC150A-512D-4D5A-AAE0-EA964B525FED.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. and a few have caught fire with them

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Imo newer ones look better... but cool either way.

5. What's everyone's thoughts on the power commander. Is it the go to for tuning these bikes. Does anybody get bike mapped and a chip written for them now?

6. What @cookster said earlier. Cjs in Bristol will tune and remap the ecu. Considered a better option than the pc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Will give them a phone I think.

• Like Like x 1
  8. don't bother with a PC.Map it direct.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. That's why I asked. I not saying there is anything wrong with the power commander. My track bike came with one fitted and it runs fine. I would be happier if i have the bike running of its own map than a piggy back ecu. The key thing is finding someone that knows what their doing. Done a bit of reading and CJS seem to be clued up on it. It's a 320 mile drive but i will give them a try.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Filter 6.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chris at CJS has done work on both my Ducatis; cylinder head/gas flow work on both and mapping on the 916.

Initially it was with a PC3 as he didn't then have the facility to map the ECU and it ran very well but after a while developed a bit of a splutter at certain throttle/RPM combinations, I think it was a PC3 a problem of some sort and I have heard of of similar from others?

Anyway I did some extra work to the bike that warranted a remap so took it back to him for a custom ECU, which has more options; ignition timing as well as fuelling plus offset between front rear cylinder and it immediately ran better, several years down the line it still runs perfectly and makes good power with no reliability issues.

I highly recommend Chris's work and, despite being a similar distance from me, would definitely go to him again if I need a bike mapping. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Small update since getting back my holiday. The bike was slow at turning over when trying to start it. The battery was replaced when i bought it so i decided to get a set of Exact start starter cables for the bike:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They made a big difference. The bike starts after 2 seconds from cold compared to about 6/8 second with the original cables. Next job was the relay rubber holder under the battery had dried out and split:

[​IMG]

So i ordered a new one up and got that fitted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last job was the reservoir caps. The bike came with these after market ones on it:

[​IMG]

So i ordered a couple up and got them fitted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am still looking for a set of rear silencers. I like the look of the carbon Termignoni silencers but i have seen a couple of bikes with the titanium silencers and i like them to. I'm in no rush so will just wait until something comes up for sale.

• Like Like x 7
  13. I got alloy ones on mine mate
    20191211_170117.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  14. They look good! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I have the ti on mine and I must say I love them. Took a while to find them - eBay as I recall - but they do have a lovely hue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Small up date. I have been chipping away at collecting original panels. I have got most of what i'm looking for and have been lucky enough that most the parts i have got are NOS:
    [​IMG]

The only body panel i have left to find is an original seat unit 48320411AA:
    [​IMG]

With the lock down I'm am lucky enough that i'm a Hospital technician. So i have been using the bike in this beautiful weather to run in and out of work:
    [​IMG]

The gearing is to high for in town riding. I decided to go with changing the front sprocket to a 14 tooth for now. The chain and rear sprocket are in good condition. I will change ti a 15/38 sprocket set once this one wears out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think i'm going to get rid of my 748 track bike and all the kit i have for it. I just can't see me using it now i have the 998s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm just not sure it now is the best time to sell it? What would you guys do?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Personal choice about selling now or later for the parts. People are still buying spares.
    And good choice for the chain and sprockets. 15/38 works well with these.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ^ agree. I am buying lots of parts at the moment. Quite like some of your bits too ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Did we have a conversation about seat units? I can’t remember whether or not!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information