1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998s Refurb

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by West Cork Paul, May 24, 2020.

1. Umm, not looking 'quite' right....

2. Nuclear grade :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seen that before on a 250 Kawasaki twin I was given, turned out to be incorrect plugs in that case.

( I so wanted to say it turned out to be the HT leads, but that would have been cruel).

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. I wanted to rate that both funny and useful .

Anyway, it deffo has the right plugs Champion RG4HC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Probably front sprocket needs changing :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. It's normally a sign of the timing out, running rich would make run cooler, a lean mix hotter, never seen that on a Ducati only older brit bikes with timing out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. How boring, I was hoping this one would see us through autumn :mad:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Wow!! That’s hot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. I hate to burst your bubble there Paul but us internet stalking weirdos are far better at spotting where you live than you think!

Just ask @Expat Jack :joy:

Needless to say - like him you have shared too much info if you truly want to keep your name and location confidential!

PM me if you are concerned - too be fair there are many folks on here who do the same without realising!

Bloody lovely area you live in though! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. You would have a field day on @PerryL banks thread. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Have you still got that tree in your front garden :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Which one? I you can’t give species then you aren’t a proper stalker! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bloody stalkers !

Anyway, back on track. I started it up again and left it to run until the fan came on, blipped the throttle lots of times as the temp increased in order to hurry the process along. No more red hot exhaust headers, phew:grinning:. Quite why it did that earlier I have no idea.

I put it all back together again to take it out for a road test but it started :splat::splat::splat: :(

8261E20C-D7DF-41D5-848C-F5CC0559B8E5.jpeg

Over the winter the bike will have a complete strip down and deep clean but now it’s running properly I want to use it.

• Like Like x 4
  14. So what's the manufacturers name moulded into the TPE :thinkingface:

15. Hot = more a sign of lean rather than rich. I reckon that first 150mm is running at about 800-900C with that colour...

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. TPE :thinkingface:? Thermo Plastic Elastomer? Do you mean the breather pipe? If so, none, niet, rien, nada. I looked everywhere on it, no maker’s marks at all.

On the other hand the one that was on there clearly wasn’t petrol résistent which explains why it kept disconnecting. The end connected to the Y piece under the tank has swollen as can be seen in the photo below. The pipe also had a big hole in it due to being incorrectly routed and touching the vertical exhaust :(.

8CE5CF6C-C0FF-4A95-9EC5-46A90441E221.jpeg

17. On the plug in bit - you can see some letters in your picture :eyes:

#217 Exige, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2020
  18. Oh, the HT lead. I’d have to pull it out to check if it’s more than the MTA you can see in the photo, and I’ve put all the bodywork back on now. I’ll take a look next time for you:upyeah:

19. It might point to the correct car replacement part o_O

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. it could be a number of issues!

plugs as stated! battery, tps, ignition sensor, air leak, valve timing, fouled valve, burnt valve (caused by over reving, poor mixture) ecu problem, but a lot of these would cause a pre ignition!

are you sure the miss fire is a back fire and not a pre fire?

im having the same issues lol

Do Not Sell My Personal Information