1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998s Refurb

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by West Cork Paul, May 24, 2020.

1. Just for a heads up, the best way to get the pump plate back into the bottom of the tank without any issues is to use bolts to gently pull the whole assmbly into place and a good smear of red rubber grease

2. What news from Cork? How’s it coming on Paul?

3. He's just taking the sprocket cover off a sucking through his teeth.:confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Hmmm, been busy lately:(. I’m scheduled to attack it again tomorrow, that’s the plan anyway. The misfire was on the front cylinder so I had to order some new spark plugs, will swap that first and see how it goes, if not then track back to the coil and so on. Hopefully it’s just the plug breaking down:):upyeah:.

After that, I then need to work out why the injectors dont fire sometimes :(.

Still, it’s got a nice new fuel filter now and all the hoses inside the tank are still fit for purpose:upyeah:. The old filter was dated 17.02.04:astonished:
    D5C58332-125E-4734-AA7F-9EC3C551A748.jpeg

5. I actually haven’t removed that yet. I might do that tomorrow now as well and see what lies beneath :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Have you finished painting the house yet? I'm doing the windows and doors at our gaff in between weather :D

7. No, not yet :(, keep putting it off, I hate going up ladders these days:(:astonished:.
    I’ve also got to finish daughter no2s bedroom before she comes to visit next month, which has had the first coat on for at least 3 weeks now (takes a long time to dry, that’s my excuse:p).
    Then there’s the grass which needs cutting continually this time of year, plus all the strimming in places the lawnmower can’t get to, which of course can only be done when it’s dry, but then when it’s dry I take a bike out:D, so it doesn’t get done, which of course makes the job twice as long when I do come to do it:confused:.
    Then there’s the weeding :mad: don’t start me on the weeding. I now understand why a lot of Irish houses are just Tarmaced all around.
    Then there’s some work needs doing on a rental property we have.
    Then SWMBO and I are supposed to be taking it easier in life and spending time together so there are days out.
    Then SWMBO always manages to find little jobs for me to do around the house.
    Then I even started back at work last week so am now working 2 days a week again ffso_O.
    I need some me time:confused:

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. So much for retirement malarky :D don't be disheartened, I have even less time than you to ride my 1 bike :bucktooth:

• Love You Love You x 1
  9. You lads are not selling retirement to me :worried: !!

#149 theskitz, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. I'm not retired - but not expecting to ever get there either :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Phew!!!:grinning:

41310057-5134-4FB0-81FD-D6794AF141E7.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. It's brilliant, you can pick which jobs and do them when you can fit them in!! :confused:
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I have a problem with an intermittent misfire which I traced to the front cylinder. I ordered more spark plugs and today’s job was to put a new one in the front cylinder to see if that cures it.

New spark plug goes in no bother, while I’m down there I happen to notice the lead from the coil is stamped Fiat Lancia. 6F01E5E1-E022-498C-BD00-E148B34427C0.jpeg

Ehh? What’s going on here? Someone must have replaced it at some point and used a part from a car that’s cheaper for the same thing:thinkingface:. I’ve no issues with that. However, I go to refit the plug cap in the cylinder and realise it’s all to easy to slide in there, doesn’t feel as though it’s really pushing down on the spark plug:confused:. Pull it out, push it back. Nah, that just doesn’t feel right. Pull the old plug out of the bin, push that into the plug cap, a nice tight fit, need to exert some pressure for it to go fully home:upyeah:. So what’s up?

I get the tape measure out, measure the depth of the hole in the cylinder head to the top of the plug and check it with the length of the plug cap. WTF, it appears the plug cap isn’t deep enough, the top of the plug will only just kiss the socket for it inside the plug cap:thinkingface:. Whip the tank off to check the vertical cylinder (thank goodness these bikes are easy to work on:upyeah::)), it’s the original part, no Fiat logo, and sure enough the vertical one needs a firm push to get it to seat home, unlike the horizontal one:confused:.

Out comes the tape measure again. Turns out the vertical cylinder plug cap is 10.5cm from base of the weather seal to the end whilst the Fiat part is 10cm:astonished:.

Horizontal cylinder - 10cm
    2659230A-4B19-414E-9C24-ED78529CBD13.jpeg

Vertical cylinder - 10.5cm
    4702DE41-38B0-4D3E-B7FD-E34E7CD5E990.jpeg

The two side by side
    A0264B76-D416-4BF5-BF39-8A14971F8F2A.jpeg

I’m now thinking the horizontal plug cap wasn’t making a good & firm connection to the plug:(. Now I’ve got to order up the correct part and wait a week or so for it to arrive:(. Bums:mad:.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Well at least that's probably cured your misfire woes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bit of tin foil Paul, she'll be right :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I’d call that a result. Good spot Paul. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. ...and you'll have some spare plugs

• Like Like x 1
  18. But the thing that perplexed me is
    a) why was it changed in the first place, and
    b) how could it have been changed and then not noticed it didn’t quite reach?

I went through the extensive paperwork file I got with the bike, bear in mind it’s 1 owner, 5800 miles, no mention of it anywhere. So either the previous owner did it for some reason or the servicing dealer did it and didn’t tell the owner.

All very strange:thinkingface:

Anyway, part ordered, plus a couple of other small bits that were missing, and I await it’s arrival. Once fitted I can then turn my attention to the erratic injectors :confused: SWMBO and the ToDo list permitting:(

• Like Like x 1
  19. If it's only 5mm short have you considered backing out the spark plug by 5 turns (1 mm pitch thread) and sealing with a blob of 'painters mate' at the top :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information