1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 998s Side Stand Lean Angle???

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by THJ, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Thanks Gingernuts, not seen those before - as you say the fact that the 998 isn't listed as a model it fits is the deterrent there. Might be useful to a few others on here though.

2. You could always get one to try, if it doesn't fit, send it back. All you've lost is the return postage. I say this because I was thing of doing the same for my 916.

3. Sorted! Swapped the one off my 1098 and fitted it too my 916, job done, real nice lean angle:upyeah: But the 1098 looks a bit suspect on the 916 stand now..........oh bugger!!!! I'm not as clever as I thought I was:)

4. Had one of these made in the machine shop where I work. It looks a bit like a club foot but raises the stand by 20mm and has something to get your toe behind to hook it out And no, the red bit isn't part of it.
    It's attached by 2 off M6 Socket Heads so the stand had to be drilled and tapped. . Works a treat though.

upload_2014-10-7_9-58-35.jpeg

upload_2014-10-7_9-59-16.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Haha. Ginge's 916 has a club foot.

6. How cruel, It's more...........
    [​IMG]

7. S2r monster ones are longer. I've got one on my 996 after the bracket snapped and my bike ended up on the floor. The monster bracket fits into the existing holes

8. s2r one is the same part afaik

9. The bracket must be different because it leans nowhere near as much.?

10. Comforting to know its not just me then... I put my 998 stand down, and lean her over, and she goes.. and keeps going.. and connects with the ground.. and then goes a bit more just to settle in, freaks me out every time... but does feel quite planted once its in place (famous last words).
    Sat on a 749 in the weekend and put the sidestand down and it felt like the thing was still vertical... was a bit worried it was gonna spill the other way.

11. Suspension ride height can\will affect how the bike sits on the stand. The rear of my 998 is set quite high and as a consequence the bike really does seem to lean at an alarming angle.

One of my 748's which has the same Ohlins type rear shock sits pretty upright by comparison.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. the metal in the bracket bends over time esp if your are heavy and sit on the bike with the stand down and it makes contact with ground !

also the alloy in the stand itself is soft and gets squished making the lean angle further. i have seem them repaired easily with a blob of tack weld where the 'face' of the stand leg meets the bracket. this is then filed to get the desired lean angle.

fwiw the whole 1098 side stand assembly (inc bracket and switch) bolts right on. the stand is a little bit longer and the foots is bigger.
    they come up on ebay for £50-60 regularly enough

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dragging up an old post, but this morning whilst at MOT! the side stand bolt decided to shear. Got the bike home and tried to remove said bolt. No go, despite the lower half coming away. So, simple thinks I, just remove the two allen bolts. Dear sweet Lord, they ain't shiftin. Even tried an impact whatsit. Any bright ideas please chaps?

Sorted, decided that I would adopt my usual approach and I won. Brute force, gotta love the simple things. So now the bolt is stuck inside the stand, might have to drill it out?

#34 Archermav, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  14. My 916 stand bolts had loosened and bent giving it an awkward lean angle...turns out a previous owner had overtightened bolt and knackered up the thread on the engine .... common problem apparently.....worth checking

15. it is a common occurrence, on virtually all the twins. For one of several reasons, the fixing into the crankcase often become loose over the years and it's because this nearly always goes undetected for some time that the damage occurs to the threads in the crankcase mainly, as the fixings 'work' each time the stand is used not to mention vibration. Found this on an 851 at Boxhill last year and owner was pleased to discover/early stage/just loose fixings I think.

16. Had mine fixed with a new insert at ducati lincoln....

17. Yes, it fits in with no mods

Do Not Sell My Personal Information