1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999/998 Back To Back!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by JoeC, May 11, 2017.

1. So when was the chassis designed?

2. Please re read all the posts and absorb o_O

3. 1999 latest for the 999, 1999 or 2000 for the 998 :bucktooth:

4. the frames and engines can be swapped throughout the range?
    body work must be the difference in handling/ riding otherwise they'd feel the same... Which they don't. That said I've not ridden a 998... Does it ride the same as a 999?

5. Shut the fook up and read the posts moffo o_O

6. am I confusing you? I hope so as im confusing myself and id hate to think I was the only one....

7. No :):upyeah:

8. as in no im not alone or no you are not confused?
    forget it..

9. Completely agree (except I'm not French). Upright naked bikes on twisty roads are for faggots that think they're going fast because they're getting wind blasted.

Extra handlebar leverage is a boon but careful set up of clip ons and having your hands at the outer edges of the grips can get you enough of the way there.

Give me a sports bike with clip ons and rear sets in the mountains any day!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. It rides nothing like a 999, that was the essence of the original post!

11. And the fact what a difference 10 years makes which is what I was replying to :thinkingface:

12. IMG_0199.JPG
    Here's one I prepared earlier!

• Like Like x 1
  13. IMG_0002 (1).JPG
    And another one (these are just to prove that I can occassionally ride on the road)!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Love those Mono Nero S bikes :upyeah:

I haven't compared the frames but I bet a few on here have, if they're pretty much the same, and the swing arm length is about the same, then I guess it just shows us how big an effect geometry set up has on handling.

One of my most enjoyable/memorable road rides was taking the mountain route from Geneva to Nice on my 900SS in the early 1990's, I was a much better rider by the time I arrived in Nice :upyeah:

#55 Air Duck, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. That road we were on that day is a descent from 1800m to 1000m from Avoriaz down to the town of Morzine in the French alps. If anyone knows it it's essentially 5kms of switchbacks with the odd short sweeper in between and then about 2kms of fast broad curves as the road flattens out arriving in the town. There were four of us that day; the 999s, that BM thing, a GSXR1000 and some naked Harley sportster and that was the order we arrived in. I tend to be quicker than almost anyone else not through talent but principally because the plate on the 999 belongs on the 998 in the photo above and I'm generally quite keen to get home before anyone who may care, twigs!

I think I had a Malaguti Cavalcone at that point which may not have been quite as enjoyable!

#56 JoeC, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Very little difference in frames, swingarm's slightly longer, the lower wider seat & higher bars on the 999 with the narrower tank is the biggest difference in feel IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. My experience of the two bikes is:
    They handle as good as each other....but I'm a crap rider.:(
    The torture chamber position, I thought was worse on the 999.
    The tank holds you much better on the 916.
    Pegs and legs are higher on the 916 but I prefer it.
    On another note, I did a track day on the 959 pani and it felt less grunty than my 999.But to be fair I had altered the gearing.:p

18. Even 2mm change in ride height front or rear can make a huge difference in handling...as well as how the suspension is set up. Not to mention tyre overall diameter, tyre profile, tyre width or seat height relative to clip ons foot rests (the magic triangle).
    How do you find the difference on track when pushed harder?

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information