1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Gearing And Silverstone.

Discussion in 'Trackdays & Rider Skills' started by Cream_Revenge, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Hey

999 - MY03.

Standard is 15/36. Been running 15/38 for a year and seems spot-on. Standard 96 link chain brings adjusters to very front of SA.

Switching to a 180/55 rear resulted in too little clearance with the SA. So, bought a 14T front and fitted today. I also bought a 37T rear.

Concern is, if I fit 14/37 am I going to run out of gears down the back straight at Silverstone????

If i was taking the bike to tracks on a trailer I wouldn't worry as I could take tools and paddock stand with me and just change between sessions but I ride to track so what I take i'm stuck with it for the day. Don't want to be bouncing off the rev limiter in top........

Didn't take notice of the revs at Silverstone with 15/38 but was in top on back straight. 14/36 will put the rev higher and top speed lower. 14/37 even more so.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. 14/37 is like 15/39.5.

Brilliant for the road and probably most tracks other than silverstone lol

Personally, I'd stick the 36 back on for silvertsone which is then like 15/38.5 so much closer :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Little tip. Stick a cam on your yokes/tank so it points at your clocks. I can *almost* guarantee you rarely use all the revs, infect bet most of the time under 9k. :)

4. Agree, i know I short shift, to be honest I do it on purpose to use the torque and figure it's gentler on the engine. I tend to change up on noise and how she is pulling.

Will leave at 14/36 then.

Will be booking Bedford soon and that's got an even longer straight......

5. And as if by magic, my new action-cam just came! (fathers day gift)

6. As above Silverstone is one of the very few tracks (esp in the UK) where you want long gearing similar to stock road bikes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I'm 14 38 which is ok. Hate short shifting.
    Maybe need a bit more punch as you enter hangers, but that's probably me in the wrong gear in the proceeding bit.

8. Use the revs: that's what they are for!!

In theory, change at 500-1000 before redline and you go straight back into max torque for drive :)

9. isn't it 6500 to 9000? Custom Map.JPG

10. Ideally, drop Chris a line and see if he can let you have the in gear ones, where you can see how it changes and decide where best to set a shift light. I'd say 9250 would probably be about the ball park.

Gearing commander also has that option using the gearing charts to give you an idea :)

11. I think you guessed I'd missed a zero off...its 500 to 1000 short of where the limiter comes in is normally max power area still and drops down to max toque. So say 9250 would put you back to just under 8k so you get instant drive while the power builds. Hope that make sure sense.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I probably do change about 9k, although I don't think I looked at the rev counter once at Silverstone.

13. Tenner says you don't :) well, not 3rd onwards anyway ;)

I used to think I did, then a vid showed me I didn't and was short shifting everywhere. Funny enough, soon as I found that out I was only hitting 5th on any straight for a while...and going quicker :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fat finger syndrome. Removed, sowwee.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information