1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Cream_Revenge, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Clutch now , well, basically, amazing. So light with easy neutral to find and quieter (but not silent). Well happy. Took some work though.
    http://ducatiforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/51479/

Next up is the map. Then it's either front forks and rear shock or turning to a mono. I think her arse is a little fat.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nice.

Suspension 1st.

3. SLIPPER CLUTCH IS FRICKING AWESOME ON TRACK! Having to use rear brake!

• Like Like x 1
  4. And this children is why we change oil over a plastic sheet:

IMAG1398.jpg

5. MAP DAY!

Up at 5:30 and on bike by 6:10, arrived at Luigi Moto at 8:30 on the dot. Bike straight in for throttle body balance (apparently WAY out) and a few other bits I didn't quite get, all done in 1 hour.

Chris was arranged for 10:30 so I walked 1/2 mile to cafe for a big breakfast, back at 10:30, Chris arrives at 11:00.

Chris did his magic and hands back about 15:30, bike sounded AWESOME on the dyno! Glad I changed the oil this weekend.

I don't have a printout as Chris has given up on printers as apparently his keep breaking. He suggested I take a photo on my phone but i've asked him to email me a screen shot, Should have done it there and then really but he said he'd do Friday. From what I remember max BHP was +5 and Ft/lbs +4. BIG improvement in 5-8k RPM range though with around +9bhp and +7ft/lbs. Can't remember exact numbers.

Bill paid and was just leaving and chatting to Rich and asked if he did suspension work, "yep". I explained i'd had it set at a trackday for £50. "I'll tell you if it's right" he says. Has a sit and a bounce and "right wheel it back in, your not taking it anywhere like that". Hardens up the front end a lot and raises the rear about 1 1/2". Bike looks better with a higher arse. Didn't charge me for it. Finally left at 17:00. Long day.

Must say, I know some don't like him but I really thought he was a good guy, seemed really open and honest. Top bloke IMO.

Clutch was commented on about how light it was and how well the slipper worked :) .

So, the ride. Handling is cracking, really sharp and planted, favourite double roundabout i'm holding a much tighter line.

Bike is a lot less snatchy from closed throttle, deffo has more mid-range power, not WOW like jumping on a Panni but a distinct improvement. Overtaking is much quicker. Front wheel is lighter too. Tick over is now higher, possibly a little too high, but I had a few issues recently with the bike cutting out at stop (junctions, traffic lights, etc) which is not fun so hopefully that is sorted now.

Altogether, not a cheap day but bike is deffo better for it and I had a lovely ride back avoiding the motorway.

The Bibury to A40 B4425 is a cracker.

Tired and drinking beer now.

About the gear indicator...........

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Exactly that with a faster tickover.

7. It looks like it is almost at the perfect for you point, I do love the gloss black even though it shows everything. What will you do when it is where you have done everything and it is as it should be?

8. Apparently if you fit 749R heads on it she will hit 160bhp :) Rich at Luigi knows a pair for sale.........

• Like Like x 1
  9. Were they the ones I saw today on his work bench/lift? :)

10. Don't know, he just said he knew of a set for sale. ££££ upgrade though! But just think of a 160+BHP 999 :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. What are you getting now? I've got a dyno read-out showing just short of 130 for mine - when it's firing on both... :/

12. Think it was 130

13. I find I can rarely use the whole 130 but then, I am an old rider...

#493 Old rider, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. been a while since i checked in creamo... looks like this one has come a long way and what a ride...

so of your collection is this now your fave bike??

15. Since the first 100yrds was always my favourite to ride, now even more so. The GSXR I didn't bother with MOT this year and is now tucked away for who knows how long and I only really ride the 996 as I feel I should. 999 is an utter blast.

About lightweight wheels........

• Like Like x 1
  16. Do it mate. Listen to the voices! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. I'm reminded of an old saying, it's not how many inches you have but how you use them :D

18. So will you be building it then????

19. Is the GSXR running?

20. My SRAD is the same.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information