1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Termi Box Loose

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by cbreeze, Oct 24, 2014.

1. JC749
    Your bike looks super clean,very nice indeed and inspired me to get my pipes polished,could you tell me if there are any benefits to fitting the filter to the breather piece or is to just prevent oil misting in the airbox? Did you seal up the hole left in the airbox?
    Thanking you in advance

2. Cheers JGJ. Its a crank breather. It is an "old school" thing and popular opinion seems to be not to fit them and you will read horror stories about oil ending up over the rear tyre. I never had issues with mine and yes, the hole in the airbox was plugged. Ive since removed it to replace it with the oem oil tank. To be honest, I wouldnt bother as the only real negative was that you had to be careful when washing as water could enter the engine through the K&N.

Oh and I polished my exhaust myself - used a cordless drill and a polishing mop kit. Wasnt easy but well worth the effort.

3. Hey guys, I just purchased an 03 999S mono and I've discovered this problem. Turns out my sub frame has already been welded and braced. What I'm keen to know is, if any body has cured the floppy under supported exhaust issue? Mine has an inch or so of movement up and down. This can't be something people are riding with so I'm keen to hear from you guys!!!

4. Hey guys, just looked the posts more closely and my sub frame and realised the rear bracket at the end of the sub frame, with the exhaust bolt hole, is gone...... to buy a new frame or get a welder mate to fabricate a new piece, that's the decision now.

5. frames are expensive - as they break. If you've a decent welder I would fab' something. I've two sub frames (mono so ally) welded and braced and also a full bi-posto set up (steel). Had the sub frame break twice - once at the Isle of Man; pretty bumpy sections, exhaust silencer is a heavy thing. I find the body work pops out of the rubber grommet, so i thread some lock wire through the tail vents and nip it up. So far the last few years it has all survived. (PS not selling the spare sub frame !!)

6. Thanks mate. I ended up making the attached (similar to others have done), which sits on top of the rear most section of the subframe, bolts to the bracket which contains the cowl grommet, and it pulls tight onto the subframe when the exhaust bolt is tightened.

IMG_3330.JPG

7. Neat - thanks for that. Nice solution to waggling rear ends !! My son has video somewhere of me hammering from Ginger Hall to Ramsey with the exhaust bouncing around - the whole thing only retained by the exhaust joints.....I check it often !!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information