1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999 Termi Replica - Exhaust Coring Revisited

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Dorset Desmo, Feb 5, 2016.

1. That'll never do - can I interest you in a quiet clutch mod sir???

2. Are your pipes quiet? Mine look standard OEM but make a right racket. They 'BARK" would be the best description.

3. Have yours been cored through then?

4. No they've been cored and the cat in the down pipe has been removed, you need to do that as well as well. It sounds lovely... and so does my clutch thank you 'old rider' :)

5. By the way...I had it mot'd last Thurs..the only comment made was....'that's f@#%ing beautiful' !!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. So when are you going into business and how much?

7. Sadly I'm not that clever....I bought them off someone who was clever :)

8. You don't need to be, look at @Exige [emoji8]

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Each to his (or her) own... ;)

10. A question. If I just de-cat my exhaust and connection pipe but leave the rest of the internals standard would I need to alter the fueling by getting a remap. Just to reduce the heat when touring in Europe on the old bottom :flushed:

11. It would possibly be okay but the only way to measure afr is for most of us a trip to a dyno. I say 'most of us' as I have a wideband kit in the pipeline, hopefully it works :) :)

12. Haven't had chance to get around to fitting it yet but hopefully this week some time.

For the cost it's safe to say that the welding far outweighed the materials cost....! I don't think I will be setting up a 999 silencer coring factory to make lots of money any time soon, but if you can't get hold of a decent Termi Silencer for reasonable money it is a good option - and it won't crack.

13. Finally got around to fitting and trying out the cored standard silencer.

Went for a days ride and it sounds identical and behaves just like the Termignoni. Makes sense really as the internals and the shape / volume of the silencer is pretty much the same. So happy with that.

Haven't recorded the sound of a drive by or tick over comparison yet - but will do before I take it off again. I may even sell the Termi instead.

I also have another Termi can that is badly cracked around the top mount presumably as it is a well used one and the type without the brace plate spot welded inside. With this one I am going to try to use the shell of the stainless standard one and modify it to accept the riveted Termi Inlet / Outlet and internal perforated pipes.

Here is a pic of the cored one fitted on the bike....

Cored Zaust 999.png

Cheers,
    DD

• Like Like x 3
  14. Certainly looks the part.
    The cored standard can on my bike has had similar treatment and hasn't suffered any cracking etc at all. Combined with a PC3, it enables the base motor to dribble out a little under 130 rw bhp, so maybe selling the Termignoni is the way to go

15. Sorry to drag up an old thread (fantastic guide by the way) but I am going to tackle this job with a spare silencer I have.

One question, did you work out what the silencer was made of and what was the perforated tube made of and gauge?

16. I got this from Exhaust Parts UK

1 Meter Length Exhaust Perforated Tube
    Material : Stainless Steel.
    Size: 57mm - 2.25" Inches
    Length: 1 meter. 1000mm
    Wall Thickness: 1.2 mm

1metre is enough to do both sides.

It is the outlets that are the tricky part and the only bit you really see once fitted.

Cheers,
    DD

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nice one, thanks!

Is it T304 stainless? The person welding it together for me has asked what the tubes and actual exhaust are made of. Can't find anything about what the silencer is made from anywhere though. Is there anything special they will need to know?

18. The guy I used just used one of his Stainless Filler Rods. Don't think it was anything spesh. He may have just tried a couple different composition ones to see what gave a nice weld. Welds were fine though.
    I think if you searched on the net you could probably find out which particular Stainless grade the silencer was but probably not worth the effort! Just give it a go...

19. Can you leave some feedback how you get on, likely a winter job for me too

20. Where abouts are you?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information