1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999r How Many Were There?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by noobie, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Quite a lot. A fairly comprehensive rework of the superceded 04 model. Like I said, the ones to have...

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ducati/ducati_999r 05.htm

2. Ducati changed from rwbhp to crank measurement way before 999 came out.

3. A quote below from back in the day (2006)... this is a documented and well known fact which has been mentioned on here countless times and never disputed prior to today :)

'Until the end of 2004 ducati measured at the rear wheel after that it was at the crank'

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. That's not a Lock Thread, it's a Hand Bag btw :)

5. Here's more period info - the 1000DS didn't change spec, the reported outputs did due to the late 2004 change in measurement from the rear wheel to the crank...

'Ducati rated the '03-04 SS1000DS at approx. 85 hp and the '05-06 version at 95 hp. That was supposed to be hp at the rear wheel as contrasted with hp at the crank.'

6. Hmm, so how much of the increase was due to "a redesigned engine" and how much can be attributed to the change of measurement method?

I do recall, with no fuzziness whatsoever, that the "facelift" 999 models were brought in at the same time as Ducati announced the change in measurement method, that is, BHP figures for the crank would replace those given for RW, in order to fall in line with what Japanese manufacturers were already doing.

7. Isn't that like measuring your gentlemans sausage from it's base one minute, then measuring it from your bum cheek and saying it is suddenly 8 inches longer than before?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Correct :)
    Dyno types (who run them) generally state between 10% to 15% - yes there were engine changes on the R - but they didn't necessarily see real increases in road trim / spec with standard pipes, but more likely when re mapped for the circuit with race pipes (which is what homologation of limited edition bikes is all about).
    These are facts, not sure why it matters.
    #Also for the record - the later fabricated black swingarm wasn't 'later' It was available as an optional extra in 2003 too.
    The earlier R's look better with the silver frame against the red bodywork, the 4 vent fairings look better and are true to the design, as many feel about the cast swing arm too, although I like both :) More carbon bodywork on the earlier bike too, the later seat units were plastic I think? Someone will remind me if this was the case...:thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thank you for contacting Ducati.

As per your inquiry, please find below the number of 999R that were built during the years when it was produced:

-999 R 2003 ALL 795
    -999 R 2005 ALL 391
    -999 R 2006 ALL 253

10. Ok, let's forget the rear wheel v crank smoke and mirrors bollox.... Do you think Ducati are going to release an updated homologation special that's gonna be slower than the earlier version? Of course (or Corse) not. The 05/06 was boss in the range. It's the most desirable market wise.

11. Eh? I am only quoting facts :innocent: The Fila is far more desirable anyhoo - look at the current prices :) All the others are around £15k, the Fila pushing North of £20K :yum

12. Well, after releasing the Scrambler, I really couldn't tell you what Ducati would or wouldn't do. In any event, I'm not arguing about anything you are saying, I'm just asking a question.

Does anyone else know what how much of the increase was due to "a redesigned engine" and how much can be attributed to the change of measurement method?

13. That's just dandy. Not as fast as the 05/06 release though...

14. Faster, slimmer fairing helped the top speed :yum

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. I don't know much about the 999R :motorcycleduc:, but what happened in 2004? :thinkingface:

16. Erm :thinkingface: Red Frame, Black Swing Arm, old 4 Vent Fairing I think?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Don't know, ask Ducati.
    [email protected]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. When you ask, you need to ask properly as that is miles out :)

19. No 999R Xerox or Fila's in your numbers, and 2004 were different to 2003 - although I have seen reference that they didn't build any in 2004, but the 2004 bikes could have been built late 2003 :thinkingface:

20. So they built zero of them then? :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information