1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999r How Many Were There?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by noobie, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Have you seen the prices of 999R's - more expensive than 996SPS's - so false news :blush:

2. Visor Down 21/04/2008:

"So, back to the question of 998 v 999. On a purely machine level, I think Ducati have pulled it off. They've made a more effective and more comfortable superbike that's easier to ride faster than its predecessor, which is no mean feat at all. However, the styling of the 999 is a real issue and it doesn't work for me. Look at Ferrari's F40, then their F50. Look at Mitsubishi's Lancer Evo 6, then their Evo 7. Look at the old Subaru WRX, then the new one. In each case the newer sportscar performs better, but something is lost in the upgrade. Style. You know when something is right, when something is classic. After a 10-year run the 998 family is a definitive modern classic, but I seriously doubt whether the 999 will ever achieve such status."

3. RideApart 23/08/2018

The Italians are always praised for getting styling right and making beautiful motorcycles and cars. But once in a while, they screw up and, when they do, they do it big time. Ducati had a fantastic run with the 916. It was a great performing bike and looked fabulous. Its replacement was due in the fall of 2002 and the motorcycle world held its collective breath waiting to see the Ducati 999 for the first time.

When it arrived, it wasn’t what Ducat’s customers were expecting at all. Very futuristic looking and just a bit too radical. The 999 was even described by some hard-nosed critics as being plain ugly. Ducati tried a few tweaks to make the 999 look better to no avail and, for the first year of production, existing 998 models outsold the then newly-launched 999.

Just five years later, the 999 was replaced by the Ducati 1098, which had a more conventional design and looked a lot more like an evolution of the 916. That decision probably saved Ducati, as dropping the 999 and launching the 1098 helped turn the company around.

4. So he was wrong in 2008, very wrong! :eek:

5. There’s a lot of bollocks in that particular tome, was is written by an Aussie :thinkingface:

6. The large majority of Ducati fans? And your citation is to a thread on this UK forum? My god has US cultural imperialism taken grip of poms? Is BSB to be renamed "World Series" in your tiny world view. It is child's play to plug into google "999" and to turn up articles from all over the world (yes there is one outside of this forum) where it is listed in Top ten mistakes or Top ten ugliest or just reviews from media launches or first rides. Opinion is decidedly weighted one way - that the bike is an advance in engineering but the styling makes it difficult to hold your lunch down. That was the critical consensus (with some vision impaired dissenters) when it was released and it remains the case in articles looking back on it now. :rolleyes:

7. This is the largest Ducati Forum in the world for traffic, remind me where you live again :thinkingface:
    Aussies, renowned for loosing arguments (and at sport) :):upyeah:

8. We are renowned for "loosing" are we? Sorry, I like to think of myself as having a fair command of the language, but I have to defer to you, being English, on exactly what the aetiology and meaning attaches to that particular term.

Git.:joy:

9. And cheating. Mustn't forget the cheating (and crying on TV).

: o D

As you seem to need other people (in ragazines) to give you your opinion, here is a proper opinion for you to adopt: The 999 is a thing of beauty; radical design, world-beating superbike, exotic and practical. You're welcome.

: o )

10. What a brilliant and thoroughly informed contribution that is. Of course, if you got off your lazy arse you would know that I unambiguously stated my own opinion at the outset of this debate on the rancid, putrid, vile assault on the senses that was the 999:

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1098r-the-perfect-ducati.66772/page-7#post-1250521

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1098r-the-perfect-ducati.66772/page-7#post-1250537

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1098r-the-perfect-ducati.66772/page-8#post-1250554

Further, you may note, that your "radical design" appeared for a few years, was unpopular with consumers and critics alike and disappeared never to be seen again. The 1098 modernised the styling of the 998 and that tradition has continued - NOT A BLOODY TRACE OF 999 STYLING REMAINS THANK CHRIST. :upyeah:

11. Nutter :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mag wheels were not fitted as std.

13. True, even though on the Fila 999R Press Launch it stated magnesium - they were forged alloy.

#94 Exige, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. *parody account is a parody* Top trolling though, kudos.

Heh.

Calm down fella, it's all good.

Except for your opinion - that's rubbish : o D

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Aye, his opinion is a lil Topsy Turvy but he's funny :blush:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Calm down? I come here for a laugh. It must be something in the way I articulate my views that people think I'm upset. I have addressed this previously.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/moderation-on-ducati-forum-feedback.57999/page-20#post-1251193

Perhaps I need to put a bloody smilie at the end of every sentence to assure people I am taking the piss and not hot under the collar :). Is that better for those who apparently don't pick up on (what I think) are pretty obvious sarcastic or exaggerated cues :)?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. :worried:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Yeah, you look pretty silly about now, Elise : o D

19. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information