1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 999r How Many Were There?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by noobie, Feb 27, 2018.

1. For what it’s worth I thought they looked amazing when they were launched, and I still do. And now I can afford one and because they are vaguely comfortable I actually want to ride it. Even when it’s fecking freezing outside. I dont really care what other people think. And, (opinion with no statistical merit), the vast majority of average people think they look amazing. And because of the revolutionary design have no idea they are 15 years old.

2. It’s only had the magnesium wheels, a 57mm Termi exhaust, DC rearsets, and a couple of DC carbon bits. It’s done 1700 miles from new. The engine has never left the frame... it may ‘look’ from your far away perch to have had some later parts, but is as untouched as they come. There is a combo of 04’ and 05’ parts fitted from factory and Ducati Manchester say it is a good example of an early 2005’ model. You cannot be right about everything I’m afraid.

Essentially the frame and crankcase were made in 04’ and then assembled with a mixture of 04’ and 05’ parts between September 04’ and March 05’. There has been nothing else, apart from the performance upgrades replaced at all.

It has a Sept 04’ plaque and was sold at Mario Manzi in Rome, in the May of 05’ when it did not turn a wheel effectively for 10 years after 06’.

I haven’t come on the forum to start challenging anybody, but it doesn’t take much working out that my bike is a split year model with an early plaque number 0023’. It has never been stripped down, or ‘newer’ parts added ‘to replace originals’. It’s had genuine DC, Termi, and Marchesini parts fitted at factory and I have the invoice that’s shows this.

All I was interested in was how many 999R’s were rolling on the road in the U.K. and worldwide. I did not expect to get my bike deconstructed by somebody who has never seen it, and is only guessing as to why things are not as ‘they’ expect.

It does not take a rocket scientist to work out that Bologna have assembled a bike that splits a year. There are loads of sundry bits that are either 04’ or 05’. Can we talk about something else, because this forum post is boring me now.

I was interested in knowing how many were left.

3. In fairness, we all know here on the forums that any individual Ducati, especially one from the beginning or latter end of a production run, is likely to be a parts-bin special to a certain extent.

Not commenting on the bike in question here.

4. They aren't magnesium.

5. Do you know how date coding on injection moulded parts work and why they are there? The date coding it for manufacturing traceability and is part of a mandatory quality assurance system. It is to enable the manufactured date to be traced of any individual part.
    Quite simply: the 05 designation is added at the beginning of the year and not a few months into the previous year. So it is impossible to fit an 05 panel to a bike that was made in September 2004. It is entirely possible for a 2003 part to be fitted, but not a 2005 part.
    You clearly do not know the bikes history - if a panel has been damaged and replaced so I am unsure why you wish to think this is not the case...
    Sorry but I am only trying to help here :):upyeah:

6. Oh, and here is your opening note - and you now have a better understanding of your bike - which is why you appear to have come on here in the first place :thinkingface: you will only get help on here - if you don't like it then that's a bit poo :poop: for you... :(

#106 Exige, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2019
Do Not Sell My Personal Information