1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999rs Replica

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by 2moto, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Who's dyno was this done on?

2. Well it must be amazing that dyno as you've managed to get over 190MPH from a standard 1098 engine at Portimao! iirc a well sorted 1299S with a fast rider onboard would struggle to make a real 180MPH at that track, who was riding it?

Felix 1.PNG Felix 2.PNG

162BHP and 175Kg :

Felix 3.PNG

3. I don't know what you want me to say, Air Duck. Have you ever been to Portimao and ridden a bike around the track? You might know, though, that the standard dash, which we still use, blank out at 174 MPH, and it blanked out every lap well before the finish line while still strongly accelerating hitting the rev limiter in sixth just before the breaking point into turn 1. So there is a pretty good indication that it exceed that speed by a good margin. You won't be convinced, I'm fairly certain, and that's OK as there is no need. :)

4. Pretty sure my hybrid was hitting 160+ and I ride like a....[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. So how did you figure out it was just over 190MPH?

I've never been to Portimao. I'm calling you out on this because you are telling people these *facts*. If these facts are true then that genuinely is amazing and I'm sure more than a few of use would be very interested in knowing the details of how you've achieved such incredible results.

If you're going to tell us (the internet) that you and your people build and develop all this great stuff which produces great results and then sell us stuff, why wouldn't you want to put some meat on the bone when asked?

I'd love to believe a standard 1098 that's just been set up on the dyno is going to pull over 190MPH on a track even if it does have a nice long straight.

My dash blanks out too but it doesn't mean the bike's going over 190MPH.

@Nelson I bet if you measure that it would be in the 140s somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. As I said you will have your opinion. I'm not posting our experiences to start an argument with you to prove it disprove anything. I will send you a refund.

7. Beaker2.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I wasn't trying to start an argument or discuss opinion - you've stated that your 175Kg 162BHP 1098-engined 999 hit over 190MPH at Portimao and I'm simply asking you how you know this.

9. I saw 183 (GPS) on the dash of the 1299 at Portimao that was pretty much red-lined in 6th (2 up on the rear though). 190 might be possible if you can either get more pace out of the last corner or grow bigger balls than me and brake later, but I don’t think there’s much more left.

Glad you enjoyed the trip Felix, you need to come to Brno next year with us lot, Guy has all of the details.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I probably should have qualified that with an "indicated" :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. @2moto I do like yr FB page..:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brno gets quite rainy, Jon. Quite fancy Aragon next.

13. v cool project
    i can believe the dyno charts output (although without any porting or headwork its very impressive), but i must agree with airduck that 190mph+ seems be optimistic. what sort of lap times were you doing out of interest?

fwiw i had a tuned testastretta engine in my 998 that put out only slightly lower numbers than yours but I never got anywhere near 190MPH
    alright I'm no super racer and I'm a bit lardy (and my bike wasn't as light a yours), but i never logged more than 172MPH on the GPS lap timer at aragon or mugello both of which are longer straights and faster than portimao.

btw did you balance your crank ? if not, i fear your main bearings wont last too long with all that power!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. What ratio is your linear suspension rocker?

What changes did you have to make to the rear shock regarding spring rates and any internal mods? What were the revised settings?

What factors did you have to take into account and adjust to get the longer swingarm to work properly?

The front looks like standard Showa forks and standard brakes. How did you find them in dealing with slowing down from 190+ MPH for turn one?

Did you have the 16.5" RS wheels fitted?

What parts other than frame brace and rear seat makes this a 999RS replica?

It would be great to know this info, for anyone wishing to make changes to their 749/999

• Like Like x 1
  15. That's a fair number of questions. I'll try my best to answer them. If you look at the 2moto facebook page you'll find a lot more info including such things as the rear suspension graph and lots of details on the various modifications.
    The rear suspension ratio remains virtually unchanged. What is different is the rate of progression. The rocker has two attachment points for the ride height adjuster giving a virtually flat rate, i.e. zero progression and the other a very slight amount of progression, roughly 10%, which some people prefer on bumpier circuits. The rear shock is the RS race shock, which is already setup for the longer swinging arm.
    The front is indeed still the standard Showa forks but have been fettled internally, so are easily capable of race track speeds and demands. We will convert the front end to full RS spec including adjustable yokes, but simply ran out of time in time for the Portimao test.
    Wheels were standard 17" wheels.
    Other modifications include different head angle, bigger race spec tank and filler plate, factory 999 exhaust, RS rear sets, RS spec swinging arm including quick wheel change system, underslung rear caliper, factory race radiators, cowling and associated plumbing, RS style airbox with tank as the lid, linear rate rear suspension and RS race shock, plus a few other smaller one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Could you please show what you have done on this thread witch pics and descriptions etc, as some of us old farts stay away from facebook and twitter etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ah, sorry, understand. Can't promise I'll get the time to do that, though happy to answer questions.

18. you could just go into Facebook, don't log in, search them and all the stuff will come up for you

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information