1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999rs Replica

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by 2moto, Sep 10, 2017.

1. The hp/ torque crossover intrigues me. 7k is rather high for a 1098.

2. This is not true. Box volume is designed to work with air resonant frequency. Most roadies use the box to dampen out unwanted harsh spikes to flatten the curve. The rs/f0 bikes rev much higher than a 10/1198 AND aren’t as fussed about what is going on under the last 3-35k rpm. I’ve seen 10 and elevens not get any worthwhile gains with bigger boxes or shorter stacks.

#62 xracer, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hope you aren't pulling him down and pointing out his airbox statement is misleading..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. Did I say “misleading”? Did I imply misleading? No. Pointing out fact based on my experience. To be honest FE I may need to read his posts again. I just thought you saying he was misleading was a bit harsh and I was a bit abrasive in my reply to you for which I apologise.

5. Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. Road bikes have airboxes that are limited by packaging. That's why race bikes have bigger airboxes. If there was room, they'd be even bigger. Technically, yes, you can make them too big but that is practically impossible given the packaging constraints on a bike. Just as important as volume, sometimes even more so is the behaviour of the air inside the box. That's were lots of CFD design hours get spent.

6. The true cross over is always the same: 5252 RPM. The difference is accounted for by for slightly different y-axis scaling.

7. Can you explain road bike airbox packaging vs racebike airbox packaging, this sounds interesting.

8. It just means the available space for the a particular component, in this case the airbox. The road bikes have an airbox with a lid which seals better and is therefore safer for road use. Plus it is noise dampened to pass regulations. The race bikes use the underside of the tank as the lid which makes the airbox bigger, and they put the throttle bodies inside the airbox to utilise every available cubic centimeter of space. Noise reductions or durable sealing are not of concern for race bikes.

9. Agree to disagree. Yes, but I’ll get back to you on the box design. In the meantime how much to a set of those fork lowers?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. are the throttle bodies not inside the airbox as standard on the stock 999?
    By durable sealing are we talking about consistent sealing over time or are we talking about sealing in general, as I find it difficult to think that a corse air box leaks like a sieve.

11. have you seen the seal between a 998 rs air tubes and the rs airbox....:bucktooth::rolleyes: and the pathetic seal around the tbs bases...

12. nope, that's why I be askin :thinkingface::blush:

13. Sealing against ingress of dirt. The seal on the race bike is no good when the tank comes off in crash. It was not uncommon to wreck an engine in a gravel trap.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. its a very poor fit to be kind...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. so in reality then if they were that slack, then its highly unlikely that the airbox was designed with any great amount of flow theory over and above getting as much package and thus air volume in as possible. Interesting Mr Bond.

16. Nah, wasn't as bad as you think. It worked well.

17. Fork lowers???

18. Haven't added it up yet. We would only offer them as conversion service, including the K-Tech internals, using your Showa forks. We'll probably be ready nearer August. Keep an on our Facebook page for an announcement.

19. Why not just sell them as is like other radial lowers? Value adding ups the price. With a simple thread change they could be fitted to öhlins.

20. Is the bike at Brno next week?
    @2moto

Do Not Sell My Personal Information