1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 A Bit Of A Build Up.

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by able duc, May 4, 2019.

1. It lives again and had it's 1st outing Saturday. IMG_8008.jpg IMG_7994.jpg IMG_7996.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. Nice to see it back together - looking even better than before!

New fairings and rearsets I can see - any other changes?

3. Thanks. Right bar, throttle, switch and levers, clutch case saver and had to repair the tank, rear subframe, tail light and seat but no technical changes, it's really nice to be on it again. Over xmas I'll delve into the rapidbike and melcodiag software to turn service light off and diagnose a 7000rpm miss and blipper hesitatation.

4. I stopped riding the 899 and got stuck into the 1199 and ZX10R for about a year but really missed the sweet handling of the 899. So now I've decided to bring it back to life with some new OZ wheels, Ti rear axle from podium racing and an alloy front axle from ducati-kaemna should be interesting to see how the weight reduction goes.
    1000832962_tp.jpg Unknown.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  5. IMG_9629.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. ^oooo tarty!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. What’s the weight difference specifically with the OZ Gass wheels? Assuming that’s what they are, they look like it as they are 6 spoke with the rim divvets

8. image.png
    Pasted this from what I wrote on the 959 forum
    Doing some work on the bikes today and had the front wheel off the 1199 and putting some rotors on the OZ front wheel for the 899, I weighed the front wheels 7 spoke BST and the OZ Gass RS A.

7.4 for the BST
    7.2 for the OZ Gass

I was surprised! this was with tyres and bathroom scales but still shows the difference in them. Repeated 4 times and came out with the same, they have different tyres on them but I was still surprised.

9. Lovely bike - now it pretty much has it all!

It’s that rear wheel you are going to see the real difference with - the combination of that plus the lightweight sprocket and carrier is huge!

Enjoy! :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. this was why I was asking really, the rear is supposed to be a serious amount lighter!

11. These are the savings from stock:
    Switch to Renthal rear sprocket and oz cush drive etc. 930 grams
    Rear wheel 4kg
    Front wheel. 1228 grams

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. To increase the weight savings titanium bolts where ever I can. Most of this stuff is unsprung and rotating. And the front I won't post images but pinch bolts, caliper bolts, rotors, fork legs, triples etc.
    IMG_9641.jpg IMG_9639.jpg IMG_9638.jpg IMG_9634.jpg IMG_9637.jpg IMG_9672.JPG IMG_9674.jpg

#72 able duc, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  13. If you like lifting the front wheel, I would advise against an ally spindle

14. I ran it on the 1199 for most of the year which is a wheelie monster without issue, with CF wheels no less you know those ones that fall apart all the time :). But in all seriousness not over tightening with the pinch bolts needs to be on your mind as with any axle, I'm not sure if you have seen the axle in question but it is a quality piece.

15. ableduc, thinking about getting a set of these for my 899
    What colour are they? Are these the gloss or the techno Matt black?

were they supplied with 3 stickers on each side or did you add two extra ones?
    All the pics I’ve seen on them only show one sticker per side?

Whereabouts in Oz are you? My daughter lives in Brissy and we go there every year, love Australia!

16. That style of wheel has 3 stickers, gloss black these are. I'd recommend this style and as you can see by my prev posts very light.
    I'm near Port Macquarie NSW (the mid north coast) which is half way between QLD and Sydney.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bought loads of stuff from Podium. Quality, quick delivery and cheap in comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Still stealing bits from the 1199 to go onto the 899 and going through my stacks of nuts and bolts looking for attractive or light if I don't have Ti to bung in found a couple to use on the rear subframe and saved 10 grams, It's a sickness. And on another note those Brembo racing masters are beautiful and really make a difference to the stock if your on the fence.
    Also stuck on takeoff Giamoto rearsets.

IMG_9729 2.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg

IMG_9734.jpg

IMG_9741.jpg

IMG_9742.jpg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information