1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 A Couple Of Ebay Bikes. Sps And Sp. Thoughts Requested.

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Greenhorn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Ducati 748SPS | eBay

This looks quite over price. Annoyingly you can't zoom on any of the photos, but they don't look like original exhausts.

Ducati 748 SP | eBay

This does look nice. I really like the original graphics and wheels.

But compared to some of you guys, I can't spot wrong components or suspicious things apart from what you'd find on any bike. So any experienced opinions would be appreciated.

2. Thier yellow

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sorry not constructive but I'm sure more useful help will come

4. SPS is yellow, has right subframe, 65mm calipers, oil cooler, steering damper, Öhlins rear damper. My SPS didn't have any decal on tank, had an integrated carbon hugger/chain guard, and I don't know/can't read the decals on the exhaust. Carbon air box, or just panels? Not standard either way, but not a deal breaker! It should come with a pair of 50mm Termis and matching ECU, (and the rear stand and cover if you were lucky). The mirrors on mine were matt, so these may be after-market, as they usually get scuffed. Discs are floating cast ones - they do rust easily.
    Send the frame number off to Ducati and a nice lady will ring you with info.
    Bloody pricey tho'!

#4 ibgarrow, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. SP wheels weren't black, but look pretty.

6. Brilliant. Thanks chaps.

Thoughts on the prices? I know you generally pay more at a dealer, but they do both look a little pricy. Especially the SPS.

7. The SP has the right Showa/Ohlins combination although the wheels are the wrong colour and the carbon isn't original. I also can't see the levers which should both be span adjustable. The photographs of the sps are not good enough to decider if it's got nitrided Showas which it should have and I think the graphics are too early but I could be and probably am wrong. For what it is worth, I had an sp which was awesome and that would be my choice. Andy

8. They only came in yellow with the white on the tail unit. Best colour ever :p. Andy

9. a lot of ground on the above already covered off by chris and red in response to my earlier posts.. what red doesnt know isnt fact

10. Yeah, that SP looks lovely. And a grand cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. He does seem to be a rather knowledgeable fellow. :)

12. The sp would be my bet.

13. Only the lower spec ones came in Red :Finger:

14. Green horn what's your budget? can't decide if I should keep mine or sell.. 1995 - all original with Termi's & standard ends and the genuine SP rear paddock stand, just over 14,000 miles on the clock all original with Genuine Ducati cambelts, oil filter, Piper X filters & Pirelli Rosso Corsa tyres just fitted last month with 12 months MOT

15. 50mm "race only" cans?
    SP?
    I'm interested....

16. Not sure if there the "race cans" I could measure the diameter at the weekend to confirm. As far as I'm aware its a genuine SP, light weight subframe, Ohlins rear damper, Oil cooler etc. does have sticker on the frame that say SP-1 or something.. Should call Ducati and get it checked officially against the VIN number. Its been used so it's not a garage queen until my ownership but is certainly clean for the age compared to others I looked at! Really on the fence about selling it as I love the ride, sound & look but I went to BMW Saturday for a demo ride on the S1000RR and its certainly got me thinking.

[​IMG]

17. That is a very pretty bike. Just at work right now, so can't really talk. But definitely interested.

If I were you, I'd go for the BMW. you don't want to keep that old thing....

18. were the factory fit cans the same thought between the sp and the sps? i thought the sps were different?

19. The SP came with 50mm "track use only" cans as well as the standard ones. Or rather they should have come with them. Apparently unscrupulous dealers would either forget to mention them, or sub them for 45mm ones.

#19 Greenhorn, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  20. Neither are totally original and both seem overpriced especially the SPS. I have one of the last 748SPS models with full provenance etc. etc. that were sold in the UK and I must admit neither would take my fancy.

Check out some other threads on here where comments have been made incuding by myself as to spec and originality.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information