1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 A Couple Of Q's

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Serkta, May 8, 2019.

1. Hi,

1. I have changed my rear end tidy and rewired the new number plate light and indicators using existing wires. I want to make up a loom with proper connections so I can simply plug/unplug when its MOT time. What kind of wire do I need (amp/mm thickness) and where could I get it from?

2. On a standard number plate where is it best to stick the reflective red dot? I have looked up and got mixed messages. I think its bottom right but wanted to check

Cheers in advance

2. Well seeing as nobody is answering, if it was me I'd use 1.0 or 1.5mm^2 Thinwall wire, that should easily have enough currrent carrying capacity

This stuff
    https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/70/category/114
    I'd then use an outer braid on the wire bundle here are some options, whatever you use I'd seal the ends with either self amalgamating tape or shrink sleeve (better IMHO)
    https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product_list/66
    or you could use loom tape for wrapping the wires
    https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/847/category/68
    I prefer sleeve as you can slide it off. I like Spiral wrap as it's easily removed and put back but braided looks nice, the choice is yours

As far as the reflector I haven't checked the regs recently (easily available with a Google) but my understanding was the reflector should be in the center line of the bike, or middle bottom of the plate if you prefer. One on either bottom corner of the plate might be Ok too, but check on that

Oh and I don't own shares inn AES it's just where I buy the majority of my ellectrical bits from

3. Awesome. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  4. If it helps, on my 1198S the reflector is at the top of the number plate, in the middle.

5. The reflector shouldn't be in the legal area of the number plate - it should be central but if offset there needs to be two fitted equidistant from the centre line of the bike. Or that's what my MOT man told be last month...

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Where is the "the legal area of the number plate"?

7. The number plate :) i.e. not stuck on it!

8. Thank you for the link :upyeah:

9. Still no consensus on the reflector :(

10. According to my MOT man the reflector should be centrally positioned or if two they should be equidistant apart.
    The regulations read
    "Mopeds and motor bicycles require one unobscured red reflector which is aligned to the vehicles longitudinal centre line and is positioned to reflect squarely to the rear..."
    "Extra reflectors fitted to a motorcycle are not included in this inspection"
    "Reflecting and retroreflective tape must NOT be regarded as a substitute for an obligatory reflector."

No mention of sticking them on the number plate but the tester could regard them as obscuring the background.
    "Reason for rejection... background overprinted or shadowed with text..."

11. Mine just stuck one on, and then remarked that it might fall off on the way home, with a grin.

12. Yes, a lot do - but they can loose their licence :eyes: and they are spied on :bucktooth:

13. My MOT man just stuck one on my plate. Job jobbed. S'only a temp plate anyway, I switch it back to the small.

14. You'd have a job spying on this lad unnoticed :)

15. They wouldn’t, they is sneaky, I even have to get some of mine done in the dark :eyes:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information