1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 A Little Help To Overcome A Senior Moment Please

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Android853sp, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Prompted by a thread about a 45/50mm mid pipe, I toddled off to find the one I have for my 748R. Can’t for the life of me find the box I know it is in with the rest of the polished pipework but I did come across a bewildering array of Termignoni boxes in the loft. Now it has been at least 4 years since I put stuff up there and my memory has deserted me. Eliminating the standard aluminium end cans for the 748R, the stock system for the Diavel and the new ‘not for road use’ Termignoni 50mm carbon end cans for a 996R/998S, I’m left with what must be 1098R. I know my 1098R was supplied with a road legal system and this is where my memory is sketchy, this system is Akrapovic ? It also came with pair of carbon ‘not for road use’ Termignoni end cans, each with a short length of pipework. Did this small length of pipework link the end cans to the (Akrapovic) road system pipework ? Pretty sure if it did, the ‘race’ ECU must have disabled the flappy valve in the exhaust ? I’ve only ever known my 1098R with a full 70mm system with slash cut Termignoni end cans but as it is due for a belt service, I have decided to reinstate it as fully road legal in preparation for finding a new home for it. Andy

2. Hi Andy,
    I too have only ever seen my 1098R with the full 70mm/slash cut system and also have a similar array of boxes!
    The titanium cans are Akrapovic.
    I believe the other Termi cans fit that system.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks mate. One of the more obvious signs of age :joy: Andy

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aye, plus a short length of pipe with each end can. Thanks Chris. Andy

5. I could be completely wrong here, but I think the 1098R came with road legal exhausts which are silver/sheen finished "titanium" end cans made by Akra. The bikes were also supplied with a race kit which included which had Termi slip-on end cans and an ECU. Not a "full system", so I think the answer to your question is - yes, what is supplied would be interchangeable.

AFAIK, the valve stayed in situ as the pipework remains as is, from header up to end cans. I guess the ECU would adjust the air/fuel ratio for the new exhaust, plus co-incidentally activated the DTC system, with Ducati 1098R Racing on the dash at initial power on.

If you guys have the slash cut cans on, are these the full 70mm system or just the slip end cans?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Not sure if there are two sizes of slash cut end cans, will have to ask Craig at MR. Mine is the full 70mm system. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  7. My 1098 keeps passing the MOT, but I find it hard to believe it is noise legal tbh.

8. My local tester MoT’d a stock 1198 with nfru carbon end cans and my 1098R one after the other. I had the db killers in my pocket just in case and all he did was wear a pair of ear defenders :joy: Both bikes passed, no advisories. Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Will do :upyeah: Must be the longest time since 2003 that I haven’t been down to the showroom or workshop. I’m suffering from withdrawal symptoms even if my credit car isn’t :joy: Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I've never met him, or any of the team at MR - only dealt with them when ordering parts for my 1198SP project. Excellent guys and very easy to deal with. When the 853SPR project kicks off, I know where my business is going!

11. 853SPR ? Andy

12. Yes, my next project. :)

I have a 2002 748s that I bought new and I've always wanted to make an 853 out of it but with some fancy cams, blue printed, Termi 45/50mm system, sigma slipper, alloy subframe, carbon panels (carbon everything), 30mm triples, ohlins front & back, extended swingarm - list goes on. Basically, an RS without the complication of the wiring or the engine restrictions. Really, I should be finding R and getting the benefit of the shower injectors and frame... but that's just more cash.

Not sure if you'd seen the 1198SPR project I did, but something similar to that. Track day bike that can be made fully road legal.

Sadly, being out of work has put it on the back burner (again) - for now!! I just the world to start turning again so I can get back to work... so that'll be 2022/23 then! :tired_face:

13. Ah. Sorry to hear about the no job bit and yes, I remember your 1198 very well indeed, cracking build. Shame you already have your donor, I’m putting my 748R back on the road with its original engine which leaves me with a Moto Rapido, Baz built, factory 748RS based EVR 853 with modified Shower injectors and 54mm Ohlins race exhaust sitting in the dining room. Sadly I have already promised the magnesium alloy 30mm offset triple clamps and magnesium alloy 748 specific extended swing arm. It’s been a long time being stripped so if the person I promised them to no longer wants them, I’ll let you know. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks - I'll back working soon I hope!!

Sounds like you have a cracking dining room there ;-). Yes, please do, I just hope you can hold on to them long enough for me if your buyer falls through..

15. The dining room is crammed. Currently a Honda NC29 Gullarm, 1098R, 748R, my 853 engine, a kosher ex factory 748RS engine and a sort of 748RS ish bitza engine, also got an EB5B R6 in the hall and my V4 in the utility :joy: Andy

16. Must be a big one too - some collection that!

17. About 11’x11’ :joy: Andy

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information