1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Really Bad Week

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Richard 1200, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Hope the medication is sorted & stabilised quickly. Sometimes the dose may need to be adjusted to obtain the best outcome. Ensuring you have quality sleep may also help, and epileptics can usually continue to consume alcohol in moderation.

Do stay safe. If there is any risk of seizure then it's wise to ensure you have someone around as much as possible in case help is needed. Activities such as mountain biking, horse riding, off-road motorcycling could be rather risky if attempted solo, especially if they take you into remote areas.

Take it easy, and you'll be back on 2 wheels before you know it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bloody hell - I don't know what id do with myself if I couldn't ride my bikes....very sorry to hear that. If it was me in that position id sell'em all then buy myself a project bike - something that needs a ton of work that will keep me occupied, if I couldn't ride id have to have something that would keep me round them...

Hope youre back on something soon.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bugger. Bad news indeed.
    Let's hope you get that license back asap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. My partner has just had to do the same with her car due to seizures .... its not the end far from it, get a project in for the year to keep you amused ....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sorry to hear that Richard.I wish you all the very best for the future and any new adventures you can undertake.

• Like Like x 1
  6. That's a bit of a bugger Richard............and I thought I was having a bad time, but at least I can still ride the bike............

........assuming I can find some non-idiotic underwriters.

Good Luck with the meds..........

• Like Like x 1
  7. Back in the day I had a good friend, Geoff Topliss (now deceased), who had epilepsy among other things, with the result that he was not allowed to ride a motorbike. But he could ride pillion, so I and other friends would often take him for pillion rides. I know riding pillion is not the same as riding yourself, but it's a lot better than nothing. May I suggest you discuss this option with friends @Richard 1200 ?

• Like Like x 9
  8. Never to old, when i was doing enduro there was a chap in Wales who was in his mid 70's, still dong enduro on a KTM 400 after a double hip replacement. it only had kick start, this was about six years ago. All the best and a quick recovery.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Never to old, when i was doing enduro there was a chap in Wales who was in his mid 70's, still dong enduro on a KTM 400 after a double hip replacement. it only had kick start, this was about six years ago. All the best and a quick recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Well I've done it. Informed the DVLA today, surrender forms on their way. Car insurance sorted, very good response from them. Waiting for info from the consultant for my travel insurance.
    Someone coming to see the Multistada on Sunday, all very quick I know but it's no good waiting, only prolonging the agony.
    Thanks to everybody for the kind and thoughtful comments.

#30 Richard 1200, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. The silver lining is you now can't be designated driver!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. All the best Rich.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. That's it, bike sold this morning to the guy who bought my BMW R1200GS in 2012. We have kept in touch as he has wanted my Multistrada for some time. Time to start planning for the end of 2017.
    Will stay a member of this site for the banter and the random picture thread, otherwise goodbye all, its been fun.

#33 Richard 1200, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  14. Wow that was really fast.... Well, sounds like you've now got room for a basket case to renovate...

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. You had better stick around. Otherwise you might miss some gems of wisdom. Or there again you may not ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. And me :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Good news. The CT scan showed nothing in my head, I could have told them that. The EEG was fairly normal but the really good news is that 4 weeks after starting the medication it has completely gone and still not on full dose yet so I should be back September ish next year if it continues like this.
    Being a passenger in the car is really difficult even though my wife is a good driver. Aloy wheels still unmarked, I will be dead if she reads this.

• Like Like x 10
  18. A little update to those interested. The Medication has worked. My epilepsy was not physical but weird things in my head, sight, memory and other strange things. At the appointment with my consultant in February she agreed I could reapply for my liscence effective from the end of September. So that's 7 months down, 6 to go. I have drawn up a shortlist of bikes to give me something to focus on. The summer months are going to be much tougher though.
    The only downside is I think it's going to cost me a fortune to renew all the worn brakes on the car and have the dent in the passenger floor welded up where I am braking hard.

• Like Like x 15
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Great news mate, really glad you're moving forwards

What's your shortlist of bikes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. +1 per above. Plenty on here to either take the proverbial or even guide your choice based on experience.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information